Chicken tenders are not just for picky kids - everyone loves them! These Keto Chicken Tenders are crunchy, juicy perfection, and a fantastic twist on the original. They freeze beautifully, making them perfect for meal prep.
There is something wildly comforting about a crispy chicken tender.
Maybe it is that it takes most of us back to childhood when life was so much simpler. It is just the type of food that you never outgrow.
When I want to make a meal that I know the whole family will enjoy, these chicken tenders keto style fit the bill.
They are gluten-free, keto-friendly, and kid-approved. Try them, and I think you will agree - this recipe is a keeper.
Ingredients for Making Low Carb Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Tenders: I find it easiest to buy pre-cut tenders, but if you prefer, you can cut your own from larger pieces of chicken breasts.
- Pickle Juice: I use Bubbies which adds tons of flavor and zero calories or carbohydrates. If you choose a different brand, make sure you read the label.
- Parmesan: Opt for finely ground fresh parmesan for best results
- Almond Flour: I don’t recommend using almond meal as it is too coarse.
- Garlic Powder: I am a huge fan of using fresh minced garlic when possible, but garlic powder works best here since it doesn’t run the burning risk.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust to suit your taste.
- Eggs: Feel free to add in a bit of water with the eggs if you like. I used large eggs.
- Oil: I use avocado oil.
Tips & Tricks
- If you are air frying, get to know your air fryer! Some stick worse than others. If you know yours has an issue with breading sticking to the fryer, I recommend using air fryer liners.
- Don’t skip pressing the coating into the chicken tenders. It does make a difference in how the coating will adhere.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is best if you avoid stacking chicken when air frying. For optimal crispiness, a single layer is always best.
The proper temperature for frying chicken is 350° F.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Fried Chicken Tenders
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Shallow Bowls
- Air Fryer OR Skillet and Thermometer to measure oil temperature
Low-carb chicken tenders can be kept in the refrigerator for three to four days. They may be frozen for up to three months. I recommend thawing them before reheating them in the oven or air fryer.
How to Make Keto Chicken Tenders
Brine the Chicken
First, start by placing the chicken in a bowl and pouring the pickle juice over it. Allow to sit a room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to two hours.
Next, combine the parmesan, almond flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
After that, beat the eggs in a separate shallow bowl.
Dip the chicken in the eggs and then coat with the parmesan almond flour mixture. Use your hands to press the mixture into the chicken to help it adhere.
Air Fryer Keto Chicken Tenders
To make air-fried chicken tenders, start by preheating your air fryer to 400 degrees.
Spray the chicken with oil. (I recommend using avocado oil.) Work in batches, cooking the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Cook for 6 minutes. Carefully flip and respray. Cook for another 3 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Keto Fried Chicken Tenders
Heat about ½” of avocado oil in a heavy-duty skillet to 350° F.
Cook the chicken strips until both sides are golden brown (about 5 minutes per side) and the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
Drain on paper towels for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
You May Also Like
- Keto Air Fryer Chicken (This is one of my most popular air fryer recipes!)
- Low Carb Fried Chicken
- Keto Green Chili Chicken
- Low Carb Nachos
- Keto Halloumi Fries
Keto Chicken Tenders
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour the pickle juice over it. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to two hours.
- In a shallow dish, combine the parmesan, almond flour, garlic, powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Drain the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Dip the chicken into the eggs, and then coat with the parmesan mixture.
- Use your hands to gently press the coating into the chicken.
Keto Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the chicken with the oil. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip and then respray the chicken. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Fried Chicken Tenders
- Heat ½ inch of avocado oil in a skillet to 350 degrees.
- Cook for about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.