You are going to love this low-carb twist on a Southern classic! These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes are crispy perfection. They can be made in your air fryer, baked, or fried. Any way you make them, I am sure that you are going to fall in love.
Growing up in the South, Fried Green Tomatoes have always been a love of mine. For many years I've designated a tomato plant to supply my green tomato habit.
These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes are a low carb version of the Southern classic that boasts all of the flavors of the traditional recipe with just three net carbs per serving. I think you will agree that this one is a winner!
Tips and Tricks
- When selecting tomatoes to fry, make sure that they are green and firm. A normal ripe tomato has too much moisture and isn't firm enough for breading and frying.
- Cut the tomatoes between ¼-inch and ½-inch thick.
- If you don't have a garden and can't find green tomatoes at the grocery store, try a farmer's market!
- If you fry the tomatoes, place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil before serving.
- Don't flip until a golden crust has formed on the first side of the tomato. This will help to keep the coating intact.
- Don't skip spraying the breaded tomatoes with cooking spray, regardless of your method of cooking. This helps the breading to adhere.
What Do You Serve With Low Carb Fried Green Tomatoes?
- Go all out with the Souther theme and serve this with Keto Chicken Fried Steak.
- These are fabulous added to a green salad. I like to cut them up for a crouton like element.
- Keto Fried Green tomatoes make a fabulous appetizer on their own.
- Keto Salisbury Steak is pure comfort food that never gets old. For a complete meal Mashed Cauliflower is perfection.
- Turn into breakfast by topping with a poached egg.
- Make a simple dip combining your favorite hot sauce and sour cream or mayonnaise.
- Keto Ranch Dressing is another option that is always a winner.
- If you really want to go all out, it doesn't get any better than this Keto Pimento Cheese.
Fried green tomatoes are best served immediately, but they may be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two days. I recommend reheating in the oven or air fryer. The microwave makes them soggy!
How to Make Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
In one shallow bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs in another shallow dish.
Dip the tomato slices in the eggs and then dredge in the almond flour mixture. Press the coating into the sides of the tomato.
Transfer to a plate. Follow the instructions in the recipe card below to bake, air fry, or fry.
Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
- Combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs together in another shallow bowl.
- Carefully dip the tomato slices in the eggs and then dredge in the almond flour mixture. Press the coating into the sides of the tomato to help it stick and spray with cooking spray on both sides.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the tomatoes in a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray the tomatoes with cooking spray.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Cook for 5 minutes per side, flip and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Heat ½” of oil in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and cook until golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side until brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.