This Keto Ranch Dressing will become a staple in your house just like it is in mine! It keeps perfectly for lunch all week and is so delicious you will find yourself getting excited by salad again.
Although my family would say that I am demanding when it comes to food, my needs are really very simple.
I want flavor-packed dishes with at least a hint of a wow factor.
Life is too short for bland foods, am I right?
I love to spend an entire afternoon in the kitchen creating something special, but the truth is that that happens maybe a few times a year.
For the other 99% of the time, I rely on dips, sauces, and dressings to bring on dinnertime bliss. They are the easiest way to transform something mundane into something special.
This Keto Ranch Dressing is the perfect example!
(Can I get a yay for salad dressings that make your tastebuds sing?)
I especially love this Keto Homemade Ranch Dressing because it also works double duty.
I've left it thick enough that you can also use it as a gluten free dip for chicken wings, spread, or as a chicken marinade. (Don't miss this Cheesy Keto Ranch Chicken. Dinner doesn't get much easier!)
I love having a recipe like this one in the fridge because it has me looking forward to salads all week. Plus I can let it to the heavy lifting when it comes to creating a meal that looks and tastes fancy in less than 20 minutes.
Gotta love that!
Ingredients for Making This Keto Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Heavy Cream : If you are low carb and not keto, half and half will work as well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This helps to curdle the cream, which thickens it and resembles buttermilk. Lemon juice is a good alternative.
- Mayonnaise: Make sure you read the label if you use store bought - some mayo has sugar in it!
- Sour Cream: Use full-fat sour cream.
- Seasonings: Feel free to adjust these to suit your personal preferences.
- Broth: As written, this has a dip consistency. Use broth - or additional heavy cream - to thin it if desired.
Tips & Tricks
- The combination of sour cream, heavy cream, and apple cider vinegar mimics the tang of buttermilk. I use apple cider vinegar to keep the carbs as low as possible. If you don't have it, lemon juice or even white vinegar are great options.
- Have fresh herbs on hand? They will make this Homemade Keto Ranch Dressing spectacular! I would recommend a tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano and ½ tablespoon of fresh chopped dill. Parsley is another great addition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most homemade ranch dressing recipes are appropriate for a low carb and keto diet. When purchasing prepared ranch, make sure you read the label. Many are suitable, but you want to make sure that you avoid any brands with added sugar.
Homemade ranch dressing will last for up to a week in the refrigerator provided that it is tightly sealed. I recommend storing it towards the back rather than in the door to keep it as cool as possible.
How to Make Keto Ranch Dressing
"Sour" the cream: Add ¼ cup heavy cream and apple cider vinegar to a medium bowl and stir. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Add other ingredients: After that, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, dill, and black pepper to the bowl.
Whisk Well: Make sure you whisk well until the dressing is smooth.
Thin As Needed: The dressing will be thick at this point and perfect for dipping. Add additional cream or bone broth as needed to reach the desired consistency.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Friendly Ranch Dressing
- Mixing Bowl and Whisk or Food Processor
- Storage container
Variations for This Recipe:
- Make it dairy free by substituting ½ cup chicken or beef broth for the heavy cream. Omit step one and the vinegar.
- If you have fresh herbs on hand, use 1 tablespoon fresh oregano and ½ tablespoon fresh dill. Fresh chives and parsley are also a nice addition.
- Add a smokey flavor with ½ teaspoon smoked paprika.
- Add an extra kick with 1 teaspoon dried mustard.
More Keto Recipes to Try
- Keto Peanut Sauce it sure to leave you doing a happy dance! So cream and full of flavor.
- Think going keto means saying goodbye to your favorite Mexican recipes? Not so! This Low Carb Enchilada Sauce allows you to enjoy your favorite flavors without added carbs.
- Keto Alfredo Sauce is one that never gets old. Rich, creamy, and cheesy - this one will become a staple.
Keto Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup heavy cream (have another ¼ cup on hand for thinning if desired.)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Mayonnaise preferably homemade
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- broth optional - for thinning
- Combine ¼ cup cream and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, dill, and black pepper to the bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Thin to desired consistency using more heavy cream or bone broth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
Other Great Recipes to Try:
This post was originally published March 13, 2019. It was updated with new images and additional information, tips, and variation April 20, 2021.