Looking for a keto-friendly version of your favorite classic sandwich? If so, you are going to love this Keto Grilled Cheese. It is the perfect way to satisfy your cravings for melt-in-your-mouth comfort food and stay on track with a low-carb lifestyle. In this post I'll show you how to make a super-cheesy low-carb grill cheese using keto-friendly ingredients.
Nothing beats a hot and melty grilled cheese sandwich.
But, if you’re on the keto diet, you want that cheesy sandwich to be low in carbs but still full of flavor.
Today, we have just the thing: a low-carb version of classic grilled cheese! This quick and easy recipe offers all the comfort of your favorite childhood meal - without all the extra carbs.
With melted gooey cheese, this truly is an ideal keto-friendly dish for lunch or dinner. Read on for our special tips and tricks for creating this tasty main course!
Ingredients for Making
- Butter: I like the full flavor of salted butter in this keto grille cheese recipe, but feel free to use unsalted if that is what you have on hand. If you are using unsalted butter, you may want to add a little sea salt to the sandwich. Make sure to take the butter out about an hour before using it.
- Bread: Use your favorite low carb bread or make your favorite keto bread recipe. For strict keto, make sure you read the label and the bread you choose is gluten-free. For purchased bread, I like carbo-naut gluten free. Many that are labeled keto have vital wheat gluten in them. (No judgment here if they work for you!)
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese is classic, but you and use whatever kind of cheese you like. Swiss, gouda, and mozzarella cheese are all good options.
Tips & Tricks
- If you live in an area with plenty of keto-friendly bread options, look for one that has a dense crumb with some chewiness - this will hold up better for buttering and toasting.
- I like the flavor of sweet cream butter, but you could also use olive oil or mayonnaise if you prefer.
- If you forget to soften the butter, you can warm it in the microwave in 5-second intervals until it is soft but not melted.
- All burners are different, and it may take some practice to figure out the best settings for a perfect grill cheese on your burner. Start on medium-low and adjust your temperature up from there if you need to.
- Avoid overheating your skillet during preheating - this can make your sandwich burn quickly. If your pan is smoking when you are ready to begin cooking your sandwich, cool it off with a splash of cold water and begin cooking when the water has evaporated.
- If you are making multiple sandwiches, keep the sandwiches you have prepared in the oven at 250° F until you are ready to serve them.
- Try adding bacon, ham, or avocado to add more fat and mix the flavors up! Craving veggies? Roasted red pepper, sauteed spinach, and onions make nice additions.
This recipe makes an easy lunch on its own, served with a salad.
This recipe is also fabulous, with a bowl of keto-friendly tomato soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many carbs does grilled cheese have?
It depends on the ingredients you use. The traditional version has around 35 grams of carbs or more per sandwich, while a keto-friendly grilled cheese with low-carb bread and cheese will be much lower in carbohydrates.
Which cheese is allowed in keto?
Most hard cheeses like cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, and Swiss are allowed on a ketogenic diet. Soft cheese like Brie and blue cheese can also be enjoyed in moderation. Be sure to check the label to make sure the cheese is low in carbs.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Cast iron skillet with a lid or other heavy skillet
This sandwich is best made fresh, but leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days.
I like to dice leftovers and use them for croutons on salads.
Step by Step Instructions
First, start by heating your skillet over medium-low heat. I like to use a cast iron skillet, but you can use your favorite skillet. For best results, make sure it is heavy.
Next, spread your softened butter on one side of each of the slices of bread.
Place one piece butter side down, and then layer on your cheeses. Top with the remaining bread slice, butter side up.
Use a spatula to place the sandwich in the preheated pan. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the bottom is browned.
Flip and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes,until the cheese is melted and the other side is brown.
More Keto Sandwiches to Try
- For a flavor thrill, don’t miss this Keto Reuben Sandwich. It has all of the flavors you love in a deliciously low-carb meal.
- French dips have always been a favorite of mine, and I can’t gett enough of this Keto French Dip.
- Keto Meatball Subs are so satisfying!
Keto Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons salted butter at room temperature
- 2 slices keto bread
- 2 ounces sliced cheese cheddar, Monterey Jack, swiss or a blend
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Place 1 slice of the bread, butter side down, on a plate or cutting board.
- Layer the cheeses on the bread and top with the remaining bread slice, butter side up.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and cover. Cook until the bottom is browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook until the second side is brown and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 4 minutes longer.