This Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is the kind of comfort food I never get tired of. Tender broccoli and juicy chicken are topped off a creamy sauce and cheese to create a dish both children and adults are crazy about. This recipe isn't particularly fussy, so feel free to play with it a bit. Cauliflower would work in place of broccoli, and most any cheese will do. You can steam the broccoli instead of blanching it, just make sure you don't over do it to the point that the broccoli gets mushy when baked.
I don't know about you, but I need more recipes like this Low Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole in my life.
This is the dish I make when I've got no juice left at the end of the day.
It takes less than fifteen minutes of hands-on prep time and needs only twenty minutes in the oven. Or you can make it in your Instant Pot!
As easy as this recipe is to make, it is also crazy-delicious. You are going to want to put this simple comfort food casserole into your regular rotation.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualified sales.
- Butter - Kerrygold is my go-to brand.
- Almond Flour - Use almond flour, not almond meal. I prefer finely ground almond flour, such as Bob's Red Mill or Besti.
- Heavy Cream - If you are low carb and not keto, you can use half and half. However, if you make this in the Instant Pot, stick with the heavy cream since low-fat dairy does not do well in the Instant Pot.
- Chicken Broth - You can use any chicken broth; I have a strong preference for homemade.
- Sour Cream - Use full-fat!
- Mayonnaise - Did you know that some brands have sugar? Make sure you read the label!
- Garlic Powder - You can use a teaspoon of minced fresh garlic if you prefer.
- Smoked Paprika - I am more than a little obsessed with the smoky flavor that smoked paprika adds to dishes. If you don't have it, you can leave it off or use regular paprika.
- Cayenne Pepper - The kick added to the dish from this is minimal, but if you are heat-sensitive or have small children, you can leave this off.
- Salt and Pepper - Fresh ground pepper is always best. I use fine sea salt.
- Broccoli Florets - Use fresh if you can. Frozen works in a pinch.
- Cooked Chicken - If you are short on time, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken.
- Gruyere Cheese - This is a personal preference; any shredded cheese works in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes. You can prep this recipe up to a day ahead of time and bake it when you are ready to serve. Alternatively, you can cook it ahead of time and reheat when serving. I recommend the first option if possible, but leftovers are good for a couple of days for lunches.
Broccoli should be stored loosely wrapped in either a vegetable bag or plastic, and kept in the crisper drawer. Once you cut it into florets, it will begin to lose moisture, so do that at the last minute for the best results. If you meal prep and would like to cut it ahead of time - as I often do - store the florets in an airtight container with a damp paper towel. They should keep for about five days.
I recommend buying whole broccoli, not just the florets or crowns. The stalks are quite flavorful and can be chopped and used in most recipes, including this Keto Chicken And Broccoli. Avoid broccoli that has florets that are starting to turn yellow or brown. The cut ends of the stalk should look fresh and ideally not be dried out.
Reviving Limp Broccoli
A little-known trick to revive limp broccoli is to trim the stalk just like you would the end of a flour. Let it stand in about 1 to 2 inches of water and refrigerate overnight.
Tips for Making Keto Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- To minimize waste, don't discard the broccoli stems. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the tough skins and then slice them. Blanch or steam them along with the rest of the florets.
- For the chicken, you can save time by picking up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store. Other great options include making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken.
- To add an extra punch, saute' ½ cup diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic in the butter before adding the liquids.
- Substitute cooked and crumbled Italian sausage for the chicken.
- Substitute cauliflower for the broccoli.
- If you don't have fresh broccoli, frozen broccoli works too.
- Any shredded cheese works here - cheddar, smoked gouda, and mozzarella are all good options.
- If you would like to make Keto Chicken Broccoli Rice, just add in 3 cups of riced cauliflower that has been sauteed.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Casserole
This recipe can be prepared in your Crock-Pot. Just transfer the vegetables and chicken to your slow cooker and top with the sauce and cheese. Cook on low for 4 hours.
Instant Pot Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
The Instant Pot Instructions are slightly different, so make sure you go straight to them in the recipe card if you are using your pressure cooker.
Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can freeze this recipe after cooking it, but expect a slight deterioration in texture. I recommend reheating over medium-low heat on the stove, stirring to incorporate and mayonnaise and sour cream that has separated.
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole:
You May Also Like
- Keto chicken casseroles don't get any better than this Keto Chicken Pot Pie! Make this any time you are craving comfort food.
- Low Carb Broccoli Salad is so full of flavor and the best way I know to get a little more green into your diet.
- Keto Pesto Chicken is quick to make and always a hit at my house.
- Everyone needs staple recipes like this Low Carb Grilled Chicken in their back pocket. You won't believe how much flavor this marinade has.
- Keto Lemon Chicken works well for a busy weeknight, but is also perfect for entertaining.
- Looking for a super-easy weeknight recipe that has all the flavors of traditional Chicken Parm? You will love this Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole.
- This Keto Alfredo Chicken Bake is pure comfort food. This is one that both kids. and adults love.
Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 ounces broccoli florets blanched
- 1 pound chicken cooked and shredded
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (If you are making this in the Instant Pot skip to the full instructions below.)
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Add almond flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Stir in cream and broth, and bring to a simmer. Add cream cheese and cook until melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place broccoli and chicken in a large baking pan and pour the sauce over.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly and cooked through.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the chicken and broccoli in your slow cooker and pour the sauce over it.
- Top with cheese and cook on low for about 4 hours.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Melt butter and add almond flour. Cook for 1 minutes, whisking constantly. Stir in cream and broth and bring to a simmer. Add garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked chicken and broccoli to the pot and toss.
- Set to high pressure for 1 minutes. Do a quick release. Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Place lid on the instant pot and let sit until the cream cheese melts. Stir to combine. Add the shredded cheese and replace lid until the cheese melts.