Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this Keto Beef Stroganoff. A filling dish on its own, and also great served over mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice, or cabbage noodles. Hearty recipes like this one are the most requested meals in our home – and I think you will agree that this one is a keeper.
Comfort Food Doesn’t Get Any Better Than Keto Beef Stroganoff
If you love hearty meals, it doesn’t get much better than this Keto Beef Stroganoff!
Beef Stroganoff is something that most of us grew up eating, and there is something comforting about returning to meals from childhood, don’t you think?
Of course, the kind I ate as a child is one that I begged my mom to buy in a box. It was one of my go-to weekend lunches as soon as I was old enough to cook for myself. (Is cooking something from a box even cooking? In my defense, I was probably about ten at the time.)
If you grew up on the boxed stuff, you will be happy to now that it can’t hold a candle to this Low Carb Beef Stroganoff. It is seriously packed with flavor, and so rich and creamy.
(I could eat the sauce as a soup. It is that good.)
This is a one-pot dish, that is perfect for meal prep and I think you are going to agree that the mushroom, beef, and sour cream combo is a winner.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
My Latest Book is Now Available For Preorder.
Get it Now!
How to Make Keto Beef Stroganoff
1 First, heat butter or ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan.
2 Next, add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
3 Reduce heat to medium, and add broth, cream cheese, coconut aminos, and Dijon mustard. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened. Whisk well to help the cream cheese melt.
4 Return the beef to the pan, and simmer for 5 more minutes.
5 Stir in the sour cream, and cook over low heat until the dish is heated through
Frequently Asked Questions
What cut of meat is best for Low Carb Beef Stroganoff?
The choice is mostly a matter of personal preference. I like to use sirloin steak, but flank steak and stew meat are also good options. Any cut will do – this recipe isn’t fussy. You can even substitute ground beef if you like.
Can this recipe be made ahead of time? Will it freeze?
This recipe is excellent for meal prep! It keeps for three or for days in the refrigerator and can be frozen for up to one month.
What should I serve with Keto Beef Stroganoff?
There are a lot of good options, including:
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Zucchini Noodles
- Cabbage Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash
- Side Salad
Variations for This Recipe:
- Add in 1 tablespoon of cooking sherry.
- For a richer dish, add 1/3 cup heavy cream when you add the broth
- Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice when you add the sour cream for a bright pop of flavor.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Craving a great steak? Don’t miss this Keto Steak Marinade. The whole family will thank you.
- If you need some low carb dinner inspiration, you will find it with these Keto Casserole Recipes.
- Meal prep just got a little bit easier thanks to this Keto Slow Cooker Beef Recipe.
- Comfort food doesn’t get much better – or easier – than this Low Carb Chili.
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff Recipe
I have loved Beef Stroganoff since I was a child, and this keto-friendly version is my go-to dish for when I am craving a hearty meal. To lift up leftovers, I like to add a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream.
Keto Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 pounds sirloin steak cut into cubes (you can also use beef stew meat)
- 1/2 diced onion
- 6 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 6 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces sour cream
- Heat butter or ghee to medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth, cream cheese, coconut aminos, and Dijon mustard and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened. Whisk as needed to help the cream cheese melt.
- Return the beef to the pan, and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cook until heated through, being careful not to allow it to boil.