Quiche has always beckoned a leisurely weekend pace for me, and this Keto Crustless Quiche with Bacon is my idea of brunch perfection. I like to make and enjoy it on the weekend, and then have leftovers to enjoy throughout the busy week. Give it a try, and I think you will agree, it is the perfect way to power your morning.
Quiche wasn't something I grew up eating a lot as a child. It was a bit "fancy" for my mom's cooking style.
The first time I had it was at a cute local brunch spot. It was served with a crisp green salad, and it was love at first bite.
Of course, it had a crust, making it unsuitable for my current low carb and keto lifestyle.
This Keto Crustless Quiche is every bit as delicious as the original, and since you don't have to mess with rolling out a crust, it is super simple to make.
This easy keto recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Ingredients for Making Crustless Quiche Keto
- Bacon: You can use any bacon that you like, but do make sure you check the label. Many brands have sugar which can impact the carb count.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion, but white or red onion would also work.
- Thyme: I used dried thyme, but if you happen to have fresh thyme on hand, that will work as well.
- Cayenne Pepper: This adds a subtle kick of heat. If you don't care for heat, feel free to omit.
- Shredded Cheese: I recommend shredding your cheese to avoid unnecessary additives.
- Eggs: I always use large eggs, but whatever you happen to have on hand will work here.
- Heavy Cream: I love the richness this adds to the crustless keto quiche. If you are low-carb and not keto, half and half would work.
- Salt: Adjust the amount of salt to your liking.
Tips & Tricks
- I recommend cutting the bacon into strips about ¼ to ½ inch wide. This adds a wonderful texture that you don't get with smaller pieces.
- Remove the quiche from the oven when it is just set. It can get rubbery if you cook it too long. And remember, your quiche will continue setting as it cools.
- Speaking of cooling, don't skip letting your quiche cool! I recommend allowing the custard to firm up for 40 minutes or so. If you have the time and want the best looking slices, chill it before cutting and reheat the individual slices. You don't want to slice it while it is hot!
For brunch perfection, serve this quiche with a simple green salad and Keto Cheese Breadsticks.
Variations & Additions
- Asparagus, roasted and chopped
- Broccoli, chopped and roasted
- Mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- Olives, sliced
- Sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Ham, chopped
- Salami, chop
- Corned beef, chopped
- Chicken, Shredded
- Swiss cheese
- Monterey Jack
- Goat Cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
Most quiche involves a savory pie crust, which makes it not keto-friendly. This low-carb quiche leaves off the crust (but not the flavor) for a delicious keto-friendly quiche.
Although they are similar, a crustless quiche and frittata are not the same thing.
Frittatas are mostly eggs, whereas a quiche involves much more cream.
Additionally, frittatas are started on the stove and finished in the oven, whereas a quiche is cooked entirely in the oven.
Yes, you can make this the night before and keep it covered in the refrigerator. Just be careful when you are transporting the quiche from the fridge. I find it easier to prep all of the components and then put them together at the last minute.
Tools Needed to Make Crustless Keto Quiche
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
You can store this keto quiche covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
You can freeze this quiche for up to three months. If you are freezing a cooked quiche, I recommend cutting it and freezing in individual portions, for an easy meal without a lot of planning.
Is it better to freeze quiche cooked or uncooked?
I find that it is easier to freeze the quiche once it has been cooked, since I don't have to worry about spilling on my way to the freezer. Also, I love the convenience of having frozen portions of it that I can pull out and let defrost overnight in the refrigerator when I know my time is going to be tight the next morning.
If you want to freeze an uncooked crustless keto quiche, you can! Just wrap it tightly in freezer paper and foil.
Either way, I recommend thawing overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Reheating quiche isn't necessary - it is delicious straight from the fridge!
If you want to enjoy it warm, it is easy to reheat.
I prefer the taste when I reheat quiche in the oven. To do this, you can cover it in foil and cook in a 350° F oven until it is heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
If you prefer, you can also reheat it in the microwave.
How to Make Keto Crustless Quiche
Start by preheating your oven.
Next, heat a skillet to medium. Add your bacon and cook for three minutes.
Add the onion, and cook for about 7 more minutes, or until the bacon is crispy. The exact time will vary based on your bacon type (pork, beef, turkey) and thickness.
Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and transfer to a well-greased pie plate.
Sprinkle with the thyme and cayenne pepper and top with the cheddar.
Whisk the eggs, cream, and salt in a large bowl.
Pour the eggs over the bacon, onion, and cheddar.
Bake until set, about 40 minutes.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- No bananas were harmed in the making of this Keto Banana Bread, but that doesn't make it any less delicious!
- Fathead Bagels are surprisingly simple to make, and the perfect way to satisfy your coffeehouse cravings!
- When you want an easy breakfast that never fails to delight, this Instant Pot Frittata is absolutely perfect.
- This Keto Egg Casserole is perfect for your weekend meal prep. This recipe is infinitely adaptable, so feel free to play around with it.
- No need to miss Blueberry Muffins just because you are on a low-carb diet! This recipe is so good. (And they freeze beautifully.)
Keto Crustless Quiche
- 8 ounces bacon cut into strips
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Add the onion to the pan, and cook for another 7 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Spray a pie plate very well with oil, or grease it with butter.
- Sprinkle the bacon mixture on the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with thyme and cayenne pepper. Top with cheddar.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, and salt in a large bowl. Pour over the cheese and bacon.
- Bake until just set, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving - I recommend letting it cool for about 45 minutes.