This Almond Flour Tortilla Recipe is simple to make and is the perfect soft, pliable tortilla for tacos, quesadillas, and wraps. You won't believe how much like the "real thing" these are in taste and texture. Try them once, and you will be hooked!
I have always had a soft spot for wraps and tacos, and when I started on a low carb diet, that was one of the things I missed the most.
After trying many recipes, I discovered than none of them were just right.
Many were difficult to make - sticking to the pan or tortilla press.
Others had a texture that was off and would crumble.
And some tasted like straight psyllium husk powder.
So - I decided to come up with my own, and after a bit of tweaking, I am thrilled with the results! I think you will be too.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Finely Ground Blanched Almond Flour - Make sure you are using almond flour not almond meal. If the almond flour that you have is not finely ground, I recommend giving it a whirl in the food processor.
- Psyllium husk powder helps to maintain and ideal texture and keeps keto breads and tortillas from becoming too crumbly. It is not the same as psyllium husk, but you can process psyllium husk in a food processor to make powder.
- Oat Fiber helps to improve the texture of keto breads and tortillas. It is very mild tasting, which is why I like to use it instead of relying on just psyllium husk powder, which has a stronger taste. It has zero net carbs, and as the name would suggest it is an excellent source of fiber.
- Sea Salt - I used finely ground Himalayan sea salt, but whatever salt you use will work.
- Eggs - I used large eggs for testing.
- Cooking Spray - I recommend avocado oil spray because it is great for high-heat cooking.
Tips & Tricks
- If you have a scale, the total weight of the dough will be 12 ounces, making each of the tortillas 1 ½ ounces of dough.
- Adjust the consistency if needed - if they are too dry and are crumbling add in a touch more water.
- Use a tortilla press if you have one. It makes things much simpler. (Line it with two pieces of parchment paper or a plastic zip-top bag that you cut in half.)
- Don't skip preheating the pan - you want it nice and hot before the first tortilla goes on.
- Do not use too much oil! Spray lightly or pour and carefully wipe excess out with a paper towel.
- I recommend cooking in a cast-iron skillet.
- Make sure you are using psyllium husk POWDER. If you do not have powder, you can use a food processor or coffee grinder to make one.
- Finely ground blanched almond flour is a must! I use Bob's Red Mill.
Ways to Use Keto Almond Flour Tortillas
There are so many great ways to use tortillas. Here are just a few suggestions!
Mix It Up
Feel free to add spices to your tortillas to suit how you will be using them. Great options include garlic powder, taco seasoning, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, or Italian seasoning.
Allow the tortillas to cool completely and then store them in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator for up to a week.
These will keep well in the freezer for up to six months, provided they are wrapped well. Put a piece of parchment paper in between each tortilla to prevent sticking.
How Many Carbs are in Almond Flour Tortillas?
Every recipe is going to be slightly different - these have less than 2 grams of net carbs per tortilla.
Almond Flour Tortilla Recipe
- Place the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, oat fiber, and eggs in the bowl of a food processor and process for one minute.
- Add the water and process for 30 seconds longer. Transfer the dough to a bowl and form into a ball. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 circles. Place a portion in between 2 pieces of parchment paper and flatten with a rolling pin, pie plate, or tortilla press.
- Spray a 12-inch skillet and place over medium heat. Peel the parchment from the tortilla and place in your hand. Flip into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas
- Leftovers may be stored in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.