Since childhood, I have had a love affair with tacos. Perfectly seasoned Chicken Tinga topped with sharp cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, and crispy lettuce is my idea of perfection! These Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps scratch the itch for traditional tacos while remaining a healthy and keto-friendly option. This is just as tasty as the tacos I grew up with and is one of my go-to easy dinners.
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps are Perfect for Meal Prep!
Tacos have always been a favorite of mine, and that hasn’t changed since adopting a low carb diet.
I am obsessed with these Chicken Tinga Lettuce Wrap Tacos!
Don’t get me wrong – I love a good keto taco shell. But lettuce wrap tacos are super-easy to make and manage to be satisfying and light at the same time. I love these for lunch because they don’t weigh me down and are easy to prep ahead of time.
If you aren’t feeling the Chicken Tinga, my Instant Pot Salsa Chicken works well too. When I use it in tacos, I skip adding the cream cheese.
Or, keep things super simple and just shredded chicken, or chicken cooked with a keto-friendly taco seasoning.
Either way, I think you will agree that recipes like this one are perfect for staying on track with a low-carb diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best lettuce for lettuce wraps?
This is a matter of personal preference. I like crispy romaine, but butter lettuce works nicely too. You can even use iceberg lettuce if you want.
How do you cut lettuce for taco lettuce wraps?
You want to keep the lettuce whole, so for romaine or butter lettuce, just cut the root end off and separate the leaves with your hands. For iceberg lettuce, I typically just pull the leaves from the head by hand.
Are lettuce wrap tacos keto?
In most cases, yes! The thing that you need to need to be aware of is how the meat is seasoned. Some commercial taco seasonings have non-keto ingredients in them. I’ve even seen one with sugar. We’ve eliminated that concern with this keto-friendly taco recipe by using my Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga.
You Will Need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- Slow Cooker or Instant Pot (to cook the chicken)
- Cheese Grater or Food Processor with a Grating Disc
- Cutting Board (Love these color coded ones!)
- Herb Scissors
Additional Toppings to Consider for Keto Lettuce Wraps
- Pickled Onions
- Queso Fresco
- Lime Wedges
- Shredded Cabbage
- Hot Sauce
Want to Make Chicken Lettuce Tacos for Meal Prep? Here is How!
- To make this ahead of time, cook the chicken and allow to cool.
- Wash the lettuce leaves and wrap them in a damp paper towel. Store in a plastic zip-top bag.
- Shred the cheese, dice the tomato and red onion.
- Store the chicken, cheese, tomato, and onion in single-serving containers. (I like ones with dividers.)
- Make the sauce.
- When you are ready to serve, chop the avocado and cilantro.
- Follow the recipe instructions for assembly.
More Low Carb Recipes that Are Great For Meal Prep
- Keto Turkey Meatballs are another easy recipe that is on my go-to list for low carb meal prep. You won’t believe how tender and delicious these BBQ Meatballs are!
- This Keto Meat Sauce is something I try to make sure my freezer is never without! It is full so full of flavor! I like to serve it over zucchini noodles for a simple and delicious meal.
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken is quick to make and loved by kids and adults alike! This is one that never gets old.
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
Garlic Lime Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
For the Wraps
- 16 large romaine leaves
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook your chicken according to the recipe you choose.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce by combining the sour cream, lime juice, and garlic. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble the wraps, place the lettuce leaves on a large platter or on serving plates. Top with chicken, cheese, avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with the garlic-lime sauce and serve immediately.