Keto Breakfast Sausage makes a welcome change to your breakfast routine and is an excellent addition to your brunch table. You can prep them the night before, so all that is left to do in the morning is cook them.
I always feel better when I start the day with protein, and this Keto Breakfast Sausage recipe is my idea of perfection.
It is easy to make and works just as well for a busy weekday morning as it does for a holiday brunch!
Can You Have Breakfast Sausage On Keto?
In many cases, yes, but it is essential to read the label for the carb count and ingredients. Some commercially available sausage contains apple, corn syrup, MSG, or maple syrup, none of which are appropriate for a keto diet.
With less than 1 net carb per serving, this recipe is perfect for your low carb diet.
Ground Meat - I used ground turkey because my husband won't eat pork, but any ground meat will do. If you use ground pork, there is no need to spray the pan because you will render enough fat in the cooking process to prevent sticking.
Maple Syrup Substitute - My go-to brand for keto-friendly maple syrup is choc-zero. If you don't have maple syrup substitute just leave it off. The recipe still works!
Spices - I used sage, fennel, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper, but feel free to use whatever spices you like. Onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, marjoram, mustard powder, and crushed red pepper flakes are all good options.
Can You Scale This Recipe?
Yes! You can easily make more or less sausage to suit your needs. I often make a triple batch around the holidays. If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card below, you can adjust the recipe to suit your needs.
Can You Make Sausage Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Uncooked the patties will keep up to two days in the refrigerator or three months in the freezer.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
For a spicy sausage, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Fennel has a pronounced flavor that is sweet with notes of anise, caraway, cumin, dill, and licorice. While it is a common ingredient in breakfast sausage, feel free to leave it off.
You will need a heavy skillet or an air fryer. I love to make this in the air fryer because it is relatively hands-off and frees me up to do other things. I've had three air fryers, and THIS ONE is without question my favorite.
What Do You Serve With Keto Breakfast Sausage?
- These Egg Muffins are easy to make and a hit with kids and adults alike! Have fun with them and make them your own.
- Keto Avocado Toast is quick to make and never fails to delight!
- Blueberry Chaffles are an easy low carb way to satisfy your waffle cravings.
- Want breakfast perfection? Make a sandwich with these Keto Biscuits.
Keto Breakfast Sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork turkey, or chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the meat, maple syrup substitute, sage, fennel seeds, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Shape into 6 to 8 patties, about 3 inches wide. Place a dent in the center of each patty.
- Chill the patties for at least 30 minutes.
Stove Top Instructions
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Spray with avocado oil.
- Cook the patties for 8 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 6 to 10 minutes longer, until the patties are brown and no longer pink in the center.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the patties in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd.
- Cook for 7 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.