If you like potato soup, you are going to go wild for this Keto Cauliflower Soup. Creamy and cheesy, this makes one of the most comforting soups that I have had. You can serve this as a meal on its own or as a side to a meaty main. I like to top this more shredded cheese, chives, and bacon for a Loaded Cauliflower Soup that never fails to delight.
Growing up in Florida, soup was never a big thing. I didn't fully embrace it as a regular part of my diet until going keto.
There are times when I can't stand the thought of another piece of meat, and this is where soup comes in and keeps me on track.
You will find an assortment in my freezer at all times.
My latest obsession is this Keto Cauliflower Cheese Soup. It tips its hat to Potato Soup, which remaining low carb.
Make this one once, and I think you will be hooked.
Ingredients for Making Cauliflower Soup Keto Style!
- Butter - My go-to brand is Kerrygold.
- Cauliflower - Look for cauliflower that is bright white and free of brown spots. The best cauliflower feels heavy for its size with tightly packed florets. If you store cauliflower in a plastic produce bag with paper towels wrapped around it in the crisper drawer, it should last for about a week.
- Onion - I recommend using white or yellow onion here. Red would work in a pinch, but it will cause a color change in the soup.
- Garlic - Fresh minced garlic adds a punch of flavor that takes this recipe to the next level. Feel free to use more or less to your taste.
- Thyme - If you happen to have it on hand, you can use ½ tablespoon of finely chopped fresh thyme.
- Chicken Broth - I recommend making your own. It saves money and is super easy. You can use my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth as a guide.
- Cream Cheese - Use full-fat cream cheese.
- Cheese - I like a mixture of sharp cheddar and smoked gouda. Feel free to use what you have on hand - Swiss or gruyere would be nice here too.
- Heavy Cream - If you are low carb and not keto, you can use half and half if you like.
Tools Needed to Make Low Carb Cauliflower Soup
This soup will keep in the refrigerator for about three days or frozen for up to three months.
My favorite way to freeze soup is with Souper Cubes. You can portion out the soup, freeze it, and then transfer it to zip-top freezer bags once it is solid.
How to Make Keto Cauliflower Soup
This Low Carb Cauliflower Soup couldn't be easier to make!
Start by heating the butter in a large pot over low heat.
Add in the cauliflower, onion, garlic, and thyme.
Cover the pot and cook for five minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook, occasionally stirring until the veggies are tender. This should take about 30 minutes. You are good to go when a fork easily slides into a cauliflower floret.
Remove the pot from the heat and puree with an immersion blender.
Return the pot to heat and add the cheeses. Cook until the cheese melts.
Stir in the heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Keto Cauliflower Soup
- Large Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup smoked gouda or more cheddar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For garnish: chives and bacon
- Heat the butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the cauliflower, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until very smooth. (You can also puree in batches using a blender.)
- Return the pot to medium-low heat and add the cream cheese and shredded cheeses. Cook until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.