This Keto Cheeseburger Soup is really something special. It is perfect for making on a lazy Sunday afternoon for work-week lunches. With all the flavors of a cheeseburger in one comforting bowl, this is one that is irresistible! Whatever you do, don't skip the garnishes. They make the flavors pop.
Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup is Like a Hug in a Bowl!
Sometimes I can be a bit indecisive when it comes to what I want for dinner. Do I want soup? A burger?
This Keto Cheeseburger Soup is what I make when I want the best of both worlds.
While nothing is going to taste exactly like a cheeseburger, this soup tips its hat to the flavors while remaining distinctly unique.
It is thick, creamy, and hearty, with a decadent cheesy base that is ridiculously delicious. Both children and adults go crazy for this recipe.
How to Make Keto Cheeseburger Soup:
1 First, cook the bacon in a large pot until cooked through. Drain on a paper towel. After that, add the ground beef to the pot. Cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon until it is just starting to brown.
2 Next, add the onion and celery and cook for 6 minutes. Add in the garlic, dried mustard, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute longer.
3 Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
4 Next, add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the cream cheese melts.
5 Finally, add the cheddar cheese and cook until the cheese melts. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the bacon and garnish as desired.
Tips & Tricks
- If you have an extra minute, put the cream cheese and some of the hot broth from the pot into a blender and blend for a minute before adding the cream cheese to the soup. Then incorporate it with the rest of the soup. This helps prevent lumps.
- If you would like a thinner soup (I prefer mine pretty thick), feel free to add additional broth. If you would like it to be even thicker, at 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Please make sure the temperature is low enough when you add the cheese and give it plenty of time to melt. If the temperature is too high, it can cause separation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should You Top Cheeseburger Soup With?
In general, you can top this with anything you would put on a cheeseburger! Here are some suggestions:
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Fried Onions Strips
- Green or red onions
- Hot sauce
What Should I Serve with Cheeseburger Soup?
This is a super hearty soup and makes a great meal on its own. If you want to serve something with it, I recommend a green salad.
Is Cheeseburger Soup Keto-Friendly?
Most cheeseburger soup isn't, because it is made with potatoes and Velveeta. In this version, we use cream cheese and cheddar cheese and skip the potatoes. With three net carbs per serving, this recipe is keto-friendly.
How Long Will This Recipe Last in the Fridge?
Covered in an air-tight container, this recipe will keep for about 4 days.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
You can freeze the soup, but with the cheese, cream cheese, and cream, you should expect some separation. It will keep for about three months, and it will still taste great.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Keto Mushroom Soup is pure comfort food that is easy to make and will leave your tastebuds singing.
- If you like cheesy creamy soups, you don't want to miss this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup.
- Craving more cheeseburger flavor? Don't miss this Keto Cheeseburger Casserole.
Keto Cheeseburger Soup
- 8 ounce bacon chopped
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups broth - beef or chicken
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- For garnish: scallions diced tomatoes, pickles, crumbled bacon
- Cook the bacon in a large stock pot until cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until it is just starting to brown.
- Add onion and celery and cook for 6 minutes. Add garlic, dried mustard, salt, and pepper and cook for one minute longer. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and cream cheese. Reduce heat to low and cook until the cream cheese melts. Add cheddar and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in bacon and garnish as desired.