Side dishes are often our favorite part of the meal, and this Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole is one I turn to again and again. Broccoli and cheese are a match made in heaven - cheesy comfort food doesn't get any better than this!
Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a Versatile Side I Turn to Again and Again!
When I was a kid, my mom was a great cook, but everything she made was fast and easy.
One of her most frequent side dishes was baked broccoli with shredded cheddar cheese on top. I loved it from the time I was small, and my love of broccoli and cheese is still strong today.
This Broccoli Cheese Casserole takes me back to childhood, but in a creamier cheesier way.
This is a fresher take on traditional broccoli casserole, which is often made with canned soup.
I think you will agree that this one is a keeper.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Casserole
1 First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill another bowl with ice water. Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook for 1 ½ minutes. Drain and immediately plunge in a bowl of ice water. Drain and transfer to a dry bowl.
2 Next, spray a small skillet with oil and add the onions. Cook for 6 minutes, and then add the garlic. Transfer to the bowl with the broccoli. While the onions are cooking, combine the cream cheese, ranch, and cayenne pepper in the food processor. Process until smooth. Toss with the broccoli mixture and transfer to an 8 x 8 casserole dish.
3 Finally, top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is broccoli Keto friendly?
Yes! Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse that is paced with antioxidants and is a good source of potassium, magnesium, B-vitamins, and vitamins A and C. A 3-ounce serving has just 3 grams of net carbs.
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yes! This recipe can be make ahead of time. It will keep covered for up to two days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze this recipe
Yes. I like to cook it first, but you can also freeze it uncooked. It will keep for about two months.
How do you store leftovers?
Leftovers should be tightly covered with plastic wrap, or placed in a container with a lid. They will last for about 3 or 4 days.
Can I add chicken to this casserole?
Absolutely! To turn this into a main course, add 2 cups of cooked and shredded chicken. You will need to increase the size of casserole dish you use.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes, just thaw it out first. No need to blanch.
What do you serve with this recipe?
This recipe is a great side to most anything! I like to serve it with simple things - like a marinated steak, air fryer chicken, or grilled chicken. It also goes great with turkey and lamb, making it great for the holidays.
Can you make this in the slow cooker?
Yes. To make Keto Crock-Pot Broccoli Cheese Casserole, prepare the dish through step 5, and then transfer to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
If You Like This Broccoli Casserole You May Also Like:
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is the kind of comfort food that never gets old. Creamy and cheesy, it is like a hug in a bowl.
- Low Carb Broccoli Salad is a flavor-packed side that is great for meal prep. It works just as well on a busy weeknight as it does the holidays.
- For a hearty casserole that even the kids will love, it doesn't get much better than this Chicken Broccoli Casserole.
Keto Broccoli Casserole
- 6 cups chopped broccoli about 2 heads
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup ranch dressing or any keto-friendly purchased version
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Carefully add the broccoli to the boiling water. Cook for 1 ½ minutes. Drain and immediately add to the bowl of ice water. Drain and transfer to a dry bowl.
- Spray a small skillet with oil and add the onions. Cook for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer to the bowl with the broccoli.
- While the onions are cooking, combine the softened cream cheese, ranch dressing, and cayenne pepper in your food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese sauce to the bowl with the broccoli, and toss until combined.
- Transfer to a 8 x 8 baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Cook for 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the top is bubbling.