Enjoy all the flavors of traditional carbonara without the carb-induced food coma that usually comes with the dish! This easy Keto Chicken Carbonara is a wonderful twist on the original. With crispy bacon, chicken, and spinach swimming in a parmesan cream sauce, you have a rich and luscious meal that is sure to please.
Easy Keto Chicken Carbonara
Looking for a luscious meal to add to your meal plan that the whole family will love?
This Keto Chicken Carbonara is just what you are looking for!
Kids love it, so there is no need to make separate meals. You can serve it over pasta for them and choose a low-carb option like zucchini noodles for yourself.
Ingredients for Making Chicken Carbonara Keto
- Oil: I recommend using avocado oil since it is both heat-safe and keto-friendly.
- Bacon: I used beef bacon, but pork or turkey bacon works well too. Whatever you use, try to choose a sugar-free brand.
- Chicken: I used chicken breast, but thighs will work as well.
- Onion: Yellow or white onion will work best.
- Spinach: I used fresh baby spinach, but frozen will work as well.
- Heavy Cream: If you are low carb and not keto, half and half will work as well.
- Eggs: I used large eggs, but whatever you have on hand will work.
- Parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan cheese will have the best flavor. I do not recommend using stable shelf parmesan.
- Oregano: Italian seasoning is an option if you don’t have oregano on hand.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust to your liking.
Tips & Tricks
- I find this keto carbonara chicken thick enough on its own, but if you would like a thicker consistency, add in ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Don’t skip tempering the eggs with the warm cream before adding them to the skillet. This helps to prevent scrambled eggs.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualified sales.
This chicken bacon keto carbonara is perfect served over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. If you crave something slightly more like a low-carb pasta, try palmini noodles or miracle noodles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken Carbonara is typically made from chicken, pasta, pancetta or bacon, garlic, eggs (some recipes just use an egg yolk), and cream. It is a classic Italian dish. I have skipped the pasta here and added spinach to bulk the dish up to keep things low carb and keto-friendly.
Yes, either boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs will work here.
While carbonara does have egg in it, it is heated with the sauce and is not entirely raw.
Use any low-carb vegetable you like in this keto carbonara recipe! Finely chopped broccoli is a great option.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Chicken Carbonara Recipe
- Large Skillet
This dish is best fresh, but it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Cream sauces don’t always freeze well, so if you decide to freeze it expect some separation.
How to Make Keto Chicken Carbonara
First, start by heating oil in a large skillet.
Add the diced bacon, chicken, and onions to the skillet.
Cook until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
Next, add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted. Remove the meat and vegetables from the pan.
Add the heavy whipping cream and reduce the heat. Scrape up brown bits off the bottom. Cook until it is simmering.
While the cream is heating, whisk together the eggs, half of the parmesan, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Remove ⅓ cup of the heavy from the skillet and gradually whisk it into the egg mixture to temper it. (This helps ensure that the egg doesn’t scramble.
Add the chicken, bacon, and vegetable mixture back to the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
Stir in the egg mixture, and cook for a few minutes, until creamy and thickened.
Top with the remaining parmesan and serve immediately.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Keto Grilled Chicken Thighs have just a handful of ingredients and will leave the whole family happy!
- If you are looking for an easy meal loaded with flavor, give this Keto Pesto Chicken a try.
- You can make this Keto Tuscan Chicken on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot. Either way, it never fails to delight.
- Keto Curry Chicken Salad is the ultimate weekday lunch!
Easy Keto Chicken Carbonara
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 8 ounces bacon diced
- 1 ½ pounds cubed chicken
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 5 ounces chopped baby spinach
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup grated parmesan divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, chicken, and onion.
- Cook until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is cooked through about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the baby spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from the pan.
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until it is simmering.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, half of the cheese, the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Remove ⅓ cup of the heavy cream from the skillet and gradually whisk it with the egg mixture to temper.
- Return the meat and vegetable mixture to the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
- Stir the egg mixture into the meat and vegetable mixture until creamy.
- Top with the remaining parmesan cheese.