Everybody needs easy recipes that they can rely on when things get crazy, and this Keto Pesto Chicken is just that! Fresh and fragrant pesto makes a ridiculously flavorful marinade. I like to double the recipe and skip the final addition of Parmesan and tomato so that I have chicken to make a Pesto Chicken Pizza then next night.
Keto Pesto Chicken Backstory
I can barely remember the days when I was all about fancy and elaborate cooking. I spent hours pouring over recipes from my latest cooking magazines or cookbook acquisitions, and carefully planned out meals.
It didn’t have to be a special occasion. Tuesday night was more than enough for me to drive to three specialty markets searching for the perfect ingredients and spend three hours preparing dinner.
Of course, this was before kids. (And before the internet was in a place that you could easily order said ingredients rather than spend hours in the car searching for them.)
These days, my cooking style most definitely leans towards relaxed and easy. Unless it is a special occasion, you won’t find fussy meals on my dinner table. (And even then I try to keep things simple.)
With three kids, I don’t have the luxury of spending hours planning and preparing a single meal. And truthfully even if I did most of the time there are other things I’d rather be doing. Like sleeping. Or reading a novel.
This Keto Pesto Chicken is just the kind of dish that I reach for time and again. With just a handful of fresh ingredients, it comes together in a flash.
I used my homemade Keto Pesto which I like to make on the weekends when I meal prep. But if you are short on time and haven’t made it ahead, feel free to pick up prepared pesto at the grocery store.
Frequently Asked Questions
My favorite way to serve this is over zucchini noodles, but cauliflower rice is also fabulous. A simple Keto Asparagus also makes a fabulous side dish.
Leftovers are fabulous on a Pesto Pizza, or in a low-carb wrap. They are also fabulous on a salad. (Skip adding the tomato and Parmesan.)
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Keto Pesto Chicken
Keto Pesto Chicken
- 1/3 cup Keto Pesto
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee or more avocado oil
- 1 tomato sliced
- 2 ounces fresh parmesan grated
- Gather your ingredients.
- In a small dish, whisk together pesto and avocado oil.
- Place chicken in a zip top bag or shallow dish and toss with pesto sauce mixture. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat ghee in a large oven safe skillet to medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Top chicken with tomato slices and Parmesan.
- Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted.