I think you are going to like this Keto Chocolate Pudding! It is rich, creamy, and just perfect for when you need a low-carb chocolate fix. Prep is a cinch, so it doesn't require a special occasion to make.
I will be the first to admit that I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
Go team salty all the way!
But now and then, a girl (a-hem woman) needs a little chocolate.
That is when I turn to recipes like this Keto Chocolate Pudding.
This sugar-free dessert is full of creamy, chocolate goodness and still manages to fit perfectly into a low-carb lifestyle.
You can make it as thick - or as creamy - as you like by adjusting the amount of gelatin you use.
(But if you are looking for something a little lighter and airier, try this Keto Chocolate Mousse instead!)
And bonus points - gelatin is fabulous for your skin, so you can actually feel good about enjoying this recipe.
Ingredients for Making Keto Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Heavy Cream: If you are looking to make a low-carb chocolate pudding recipe and don't mind the added carbs, half and half works as well.
- Gelatin: This helps to thicken the pudding in the absence of cornstarch or another carb-heavy thickener.
- Cocoa Powder: Make sure that it is unsweetened. Keto Cacao Powder can also be used. (And it has added nutritional value.)
- Sweetener: I used Swerve Confectioners. Monkfruit or Allulose would also work.
- Vanilla: Use the best quality vanilla extract that you can.
- Salt: Don't skip this - it does bring out the flavors of the chocolate and sweetener.
- You can adjust the texture of this recipe by adjusting the amount of gelatin you use. For a thicker pudding, add up to 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Reduce for a creamier dish.
- Add in ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper for an unexpected twist.
- For a richer dish, substitute 1 cup heavy cream for the coconut milk.
- Add one pinch of cinnamon and one pinch of salt.
- To make keto vanilla pudding, you can omit the cocoa powder and add ½ teaspoon more of vanilla extract.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Just substitute full-fat (not light) canned coconut milk. To keep it lighter, you could use half sugar-free almond milk and half canned coconut milk.
The key to a smooth pudding is to make sure the gelatin gets completely dissolved when added to the chocolate mixture.
I do this by whisking vigorously, but you can also use an immersion blender or even give the mixture a whirl in your blender if you are having trouble getting rid of the lumps.
To Make this Recipe, You Will Need: heavy cream, gelatin, unsweetened cocoa powder, Swerve Confectioners Sweetener, vanilla extract, and sea salt. If desired, you can garnish with whipped cream, berries, and/or pecans.
In most cases, no. This is because most commercially made puddings contain thickeners that are not keto-friendly. So even though they don't contain conventional sugars, it is important to check the labels carefully if you are looking to buy pudding.
With this recipe, you don't have to worry about any unwanted ingredients!
Grass-fed gelatin supports joint recovery and pain management. It is a form of collagen, a protein that helps to ease inflammation. It is also great for skin, nails, and hair.
Studies show that it may speed recovery from cold and flu and that it is also beneficial for digestive health. Gelatin is full of glycine, a compound that may help improve the quality of your sleep by calming the nervous system.
Tools Needed to Make Low Carb Chocolate Pudding
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Mixing Bowls
- Serving Dishes
This sugar-free chocolate pudding can be made up to five days in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator. If you want to avoid "pudding skin," you can place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sugar-free pudding. I recommend stirring it before serving for the best texture.
You can freeze this keto pudding for up to three months. The texture won't be quite the same as if it had not been frozen - it will become a bit more like ice cream. Rest assured that it will still be delicious. (Keeping recipes like this in the freezer has saved my keto diet more times than I can count.)
How to Make Keto Chocolate Pudding
First, combine the gelatin and ½ cup of heavy whipping cream in a small bowl. This will allow the gelatin to "bloom" and is what makes your keto chocolate pudding so thick and creamy.
Next, place the remaining heavy cream in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer.
After that, whisk in the cocoa powder and sweetener. Whisk until smooth.
Remove the heavy cream mixture from the heat, and combine with the gelatin. Whisk vigorously to ensure that all lumps are removed.
Add the vanilla and sea salt and whisk to combine.
Transfer to serving dishes. Refrigerate until set.
You May Also Like
- This Keto Iced Latte is the perfect start to your day!
- Keto Peanut Butter Cups are so good that you won't miss the "real thing".
- Summer desserts don't get any better than these Keto Lemon Bars.
- Keto Truffles are rich and decadent.
- Keto Cheesecake is a treat that everyone loves!
Keto Chocolate Pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons gelatin
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- ¼ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Put ½ cup of heavy cream in a bowl and whisk with the gelatin.
- Heat the remaining heavy cream in a small saucepan to a simmer. (Do not boil.)
- Whisk in cocoa powder and Swerve and cook over low heat until smooth.
- Combine the hot mixture with the gelatin. Add the vanilla and sea salt and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer to serving dish, and refrigerate until set.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries if desired.
This post was originally published March 2019. It was updated June 2021.
Yummy! I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!
for a while now,,, I been thinking I should let you know ,,you are a WIZZZZ
I been low carb for many a year ,, I live my wonderful lot carb life and LOVE IT
thank you for all you do and for posting things I just never got around to..
back when I started all we had was a Dr Atkins Book..
I am 77 and have a lot of energy .. once you wrap your head around the fact that
regular food is KILLING YOU... it gets easier.. I never ever crave sweets.. love to cook and
feed half the neighbors.. love that also..
have a blessed NEW YEAR MAY 2021 BE SO MUCH BETTER THEN WE HAVE HAD
Thanks so much for your kind words Shelia! I remember the days where all there was was that book. I had one that was a yellow paperback. Happy New Year to you too!