This Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is perfect when you need a creamy, dreamy treat! There is no sacrifice here - this sugar-free ice cream tastes like the “real thing.” One bite, and you will be hooked.
Craving something sweet but don't want to derail your keto diet?
This keto mint chocolate chip ice cream is the perfect solution! With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can enjoy a bowl of this delicious ice cream whenever you need a treat.
Plus, it's so creamy and refreshing that you'll forget it's part of your diet!
Ingredients for Making Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- Cream: Use full-fat heavy whipping cream, not half and half. Make this dairy-free by using canned coconut milk.
- Sweetener: I recommend using allulose because it doesn’t crystalize and will yield a scoopable ice cream. Monk fruit will also work in this mint chip ice cream.
- Salt: A touch of salt brings out the sweetness.
- Xanthan Gum: This is a thickener that helps the texture of the ice cream.
- Oil: Use MCT oil, which does not have flavor or coconut oil.
- Extracts: Unsweetened mint and vanilla extract work together to create a rich flavor.
- Food Coloring: This is entirely optional - for those that are used to seeing mint ice cream a green color..
- Chocolate: Use a stevia-sweetened brand such as Lily’s.
Frequently Asked Questions
Allulose is a naturally-occurring sugar found in a variety of fruits and vegetables. Unlike other sugars, allulose is not metabolized by the body, which means it doesn't contribute to weight gain or tooth decay. In addition, allulose has a low glycemic index, which means it doesn't cause spikes in blood sugar levels.
As a result, allulose is becoming increasingly popular as a healthy alternative to refined sugars and is commonly found in low-carb ice cream.
If you're on the keto diet, you may be wondering if pure vanilla extract is a keto-friendly ingredient. The answer is yes!
Pure vanilla extract is made from vanilla beans that have been soaked in alcohol, and it's a great way to add flavor to your food without adding any carbs. However, remember that some vanilla extracts may also contain sugar, so check the label before you buy.
Erythritol is a type of sugar alcohol that is keto-friendly.
However, erythritol also has a low freezing point, which means that it can make ice cream harder to scoop. When erythritol is combined with other ingredients like milk and cream, it forms microscopic crystals that are difficult to scoop.
If you want to use erythritol or a blend that contains it (such as Swerve), plan on taking your ice cream out of the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
Tools Needed to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Keto Ice Cream
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Store leftover Low Carb Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream in the freezer for about two weeks. It will still be safe to eat after this, but large ice crystals can form and the texture may become grainy.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream
Start making this sugar-free mint chocolate chip ice cream by heating the cream, allulose, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
Cook, whisking often, for five minutes or until the sweetener dissolves.
Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the mixture, and whisk until smooth.
Remove from the heat, and add the MCT oil, mint, and vanilla.
If you want the ice cream to be green, you can add in some natural food coloring.
Chill the cream mixture in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight.
Pour into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the chocolate in the last 5 minutes of churning once the ice cream is almost set.
At this point, the ice cream will be the consistency of soft serve. If you want firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid.
Garnish with fresh mint and top with whipped cream if desired.
More Keto Dessert Recipes
- If you love chocolate chip cookies, you're going to love these keto chocolate chip cookies! They are soft and chewy, and they taste just like the real thing. Plus, they are very low in carbs, so you can enjoy them without feeling guilty.
- Next time you need a sweet treat, give these coconut haystacks a try. You won't be disappointed!
- When you want a sugar-free sweet treat that is sure to delight both kids and adults, keto popsicles are perfect.
- If you like the taste of cookie dough, you will love this egg-free keto cookie dough. It is the perfect fat bomb recipe that feels like dessert.
Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 3 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cups allulose more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ cup MCT oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons mint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Natural food coloring optional
- 4 ½ ounces roughly chopped keto chocolate like Lily’s
- In a large saucepan, bring the heavy cream, allulose, and salt to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the mixture and whisk until it is incorporated.
- Remove from the heat and add the MCT oil, mint extra, and vanilla extract.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Chill for at least four hours in the refrigerator or overnight.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer directions, sprinkling in the chocolate once the ice cream has thickened and as just below the consistency of soft serve.
- For firmer ice cream, place in a freezer-safe dish and freeze for 2 hours.
Leave a Reply