I am wild about mushrooms, and this Keto Mushroom Soup is such a treat. Rich and creamy, this is a soup that works great for a light meal, or you can make the "condensed" version to use it in casseroles. Either way, I think you will agree that it is downright delicious.
I must confess that I haven't always loved soup.
Maybe it is the whole living in Florida thing. Warm weather most of the year doesn't exactly scream soup.
Or maybe it is just that I never had the RIGHT soups.
Since I started following a low carb and keto diet, I find myself craving soup all the time. There is something magical about a rich and creamy bowl of goodness.
My latest obsession is this Keto Mushroom Soup.
Truth be told, when I originally made it, I planned on pureeing it. But then I tried it, and I knew I had to leave it as it was. This recipe is pure bliss, and I think you will agree - this one is a keeper. Cold weather not required.
- Large Saucepan or Instant Pot
- If you are planning on freezing leftovers, I am OBSESSED with these Souper Cubes.
How to Make Keto Mushroom Soup
1 First, melt your butter in a large sauce pan. Add your mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
2 Next, add the chicken broth and cream cheese. Cook until the cream cheese melts.
3 Finally, stir in heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
First, set your Instant Pot to saute and add the butter. When melted, add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook for 6 minutes.
Next, add the broth and season to and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Seal your pressure cooker and set the pressure to high. Cook for 4 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally, and then do a quick release.
Return the Instant Pot to saute and add in the cream cheese. Cook until melted. Turn the temperature to warm and add in the heavy cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are mushrooms good for keto?
Yes! Mushrooms are an excellent option for keto! A one-cup serving of sliced mushrooms (70g) has 2.3g of carbohydrates and .7g of fiber. So just 1.6 grams of carbs per serving.
Additionally, mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins, vitamin D, and they contain immune-stimulating properties.
What kind of mushrooms should I use for this recipe?
With more than 300 edible mushroom varieties, there are certainly a lot of options! I've made this with both baby Bella's and white mushrooms, and both were great.
Many times you can find pre-sliced mushrooms, and if time is of concern, that is certainly an option. I prefer to buy loose mushrooms so that I can inspect them. Mushrooms should feel moderately damp but should not be slimy. The texture should be springy, and the smell sweet and earthy.
Because they contain a lot of moisture, mushrooms are very perishable. Store them in a partially open zip-top bag, or keep them in their original container. Once the box is open, cover it with plastic wrap. Don't cover with a paper towel or store in a paper bag.
Most experts agree that the best way to clean mushrooms is a clean, dry brush. A toothbrush kept explicitly for this purpose works great. Washing them can cause discoloration, but this isn't a huge issue when they are going to be cooked. If you do decide to wash them, place them in a salad spinner to dry so that they don't hold on to excess moisture.
Variations for This Recipe
- For condensed soup, reduce the broth to ¾ of a cup and the heavy cream to ½ cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons hot paprika.
- Add 1 teaspoon dried dill.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- For a light but delicious meal, you are going to go wild for this Keto Caesar Salad recipe.
- Looking for dinner inspiration? Don't miss these Keto Casserole Recipes.
Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe
I love this Keto Cream Mushroom Soup. Everything about it works for me. Earthy mushrooms balance the richness of the garlicky, creamy liquid. This recipe will become a cold-weather kitchen staple.
Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or regular broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan
- Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme.
- Cook until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid, about 7 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cream cheese to the pan, and cook until the cream cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add heavy cream. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Set your Instant Pot to low saute and add butter. When the butter melts add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook for 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and place the lid on your Instant Pot. Set pressure to high and the timer to 4 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté, and add the cream cheese. Cook, stirring often, until the cream cheese melts.
- Turn to warm and stir in cream.