Onion rings are my go-to forever favorite when it comes to appetizers. You will be amazed at how much like the “real thing” these Keto Onion Rings are. If you are tracking macros, this is a recipe you will want to enjoy in moderation since onions are a bit high in carbs. To me, this is a worthy indulgence.
Keto Onion Rings are a Worthy Splurge!
If I had to pick between french fries and onion rings, onion rings would win every time.
Don't get me wrong - I love french fries. But I've always felt that if I was going to indulge, onion rings were slightly more worth the splurge.
For years they've been a guilty pleasure, and thanks to this delicious low carb onion ring recipe, I can skip the guilty part now.
I think you will agree - this one is a keeper!
Air Fryer Keto Onion Rings
The air fryer is my favorite way to make low carb onion rings! Here are some tips and tricks to get the best results.
- Make sure you press the breading firmly into the onion rings before cooking. Some air fryers have a fan that can blow coating off. If you do press the coating in firmly and are still having issues, try freezing the coated onions for about 10 minutes.
- These can stick, leaving the coating behind. I don't often use them, but I prefer using an air fryer liner for this recipe.
- Make sure that you do not overcrowd these - you need the air to be able to circulate around them. Most likely, you will need to cook in batches.
- Air fryers can vary wildly in performance, so make sure you keep a close eye towards the end of the cooking time. You may need to cook longer or shorter. Oven style fryers tend to take a bit longer.
- Don't skip spraying the fryer and the onion rings with oil.
Can I Make Almond Flour Onion Rings in the Oven?
You can, and I have included instructions on how to do this. You should have realistic expectations - they will not be as crispy as if you had fried them. But they will still taste great!
Are Onions Keto Friendly?
As long as you eat them in moderation, onions can be a great part of a keto and low carb diet. Keeping your eye on portion control is critical as a large onion has about 14 grams of carbohydrates.
Are Onion Rings Keto?
Most onion rings are not keto because they are breaded with conventional flour and breadcrumbs. This Keto Onion Ring recipe is perfect for a low carb diet.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
You can bread the onions up to one day ahead of time. I do not recommend cooking them ahead of time because they are only crisp for a short time after cooking.
If you do have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for about 2 days. They will not be as crisp as they were initially.
I do not recommend using a microwave to reheat this recipe. It is best reheated with the original method of cooking.
Dipping Sauces for Low Carb Onion Rings
- Keto Ranch Dressing is SO good! Making it deserves to become a weekly habit.
- Craving Bold Flavors? Keto Blue Cheese Dressing is just what you are looking for.
What Do You Serve with Keto Onion Rings?
These almond flour onion rings make a great appetizer and satisfying side dish. Here are some recipes that go great with them.
- Steak and onion rings never fail to delight. Low Carb Steak Marinade is the perfect way to elevate your flavors.
- Burgers and onion rings were meant for each other! This Keto Clubhouse Burger is perfection.
See the full step by step Keto Onion Rings Web Story.
Keto Onion Rings
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Beat the eggs and heavy cream in another bowl.
- Dip the onion rings in the eggs and then in the almond flour mixture. Press the almond flour mixture into the onions. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining onion.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees. Arrange the onions in a single layer, cooking in batches as needed. (If desired, you can line your air fryer with air fryer liners.)
- Spray the onions with cooking spray and cook for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully reach under the onions and flip. Respray and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the onions in a single layer and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip and respray with oil. Bake another 10 to 12 minutes, until crispy and brown.