If you like small bites with indulgent flavors, you are going to love these no-bake Keto Buckeyes. They are a crave worthy dessert that I never get tired of. Everyone - even picky kids - love them. These sugar-free peanut butter balls freeze beautifully, so a quick nibble is never far away.
These No-Bake Keto Buckeyes are the Perfect Treat!
Is there anything better than the combination of peanut butter and chocolate?
I have such vivid memories as a child of begging my mom for a chocolate bar at the grocery store and taking it home and dipping it in peanut butter.
I would make that chocolate bar last for days, knowing that it would be a while before I would get another one.
These days, my freezer is never without some keto-friendly chocolate and peanut butter treat. I don't eat them every day, but when I am craving a quick bite having something on hand prevents me from getting off track.
My latest obsession is these Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls. They are so rich and creamy - even my kids who are not on a low-carb diet love them!
What is a Buckeye?
A Buckeye is a classic treat from the Buckeye State. Creamy peanut butter and chocolate are combined to create a replica of an Ohio tree nut. Keto Buckeyes
Storing Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Balls
I like to freeze them on a sheet pan, transfer them to a zip-top bag and store them in the freezer for up to three months. You can also store them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Can I use a sweetener other than Swerve?
You can but I recommend using a powdered sweetener rather than granular.
Making Powdered Sweetener at Home
To make a powdered sweetener at home, place your sweetener in a food processor, and process for two to three minutes, until it is very fine.
Variations for Low Carb Buckeyes
- If you like sweet and salty - try toping the peanut butter balls with Maldon sea salt just after dipping them.
- For a festive twist, top the chocolate peanut butter balls with sugar-free sprinkles.
We don't use the microwave, so I temper my chocolate on the stove. The important thing remember when doing this is that you do not want to let any water touch the chocolate because it will seize up.
You also don't want the water to reach the bottom of your bowl or double boiler.
If you would prefer to use your microwave, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
Stir and continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure the chocolate and tools stay dry! Even steam can cause the chocolate to seize up.
- If you are using chocolate bars, finely chop it to help it melt quickly and evenly.
- Don't let the temperature of the chocolate exceed 105F.
- When the chocolate is almost melted, remove it from the heat or microwave and stir until it fully melts.
- Let the chocolate cool to about 90F before attempting to dip the peanut butter balls. If the chocolate cools too much, place it back in the microwave or over simmering water until it is melted again.
- Spread any leftover chocolate over a sheet of parchment paper. Cool and store for another use.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Cookie Scoop
- Parchment Paper
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Double Boiler (Optional; I use a bowl over a pot of water.)
- Baking Sheet
How to Make Keto Buckeyes
This is a visual walk through. For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card below.
First, combine Swerve, softened butter, cream cheese, and salt until creamy in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Add peanut butter and beat until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Next, form into 1-inch balls and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from the heat. Using a fork or skewer to pick up with balls, dip them into the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet to harden.
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
- Are you craving a crunchy chocolate nibble? You will love these Coconut Haystacks.
- When only a rich chocolate bite will do, these Keto Chocolate Truffles satisfy.
- Keto Chocolate Ice Cream is rich, creamy, and dreamy!
- You won't believe how much like the "real thing" these Keto Peanut Butter Cups are.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the Swerve, butter, cream cheese, and salt until creamy.
- Add peanut butter, and beat until smooth.
- Form into 1-inch balls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat water in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Place the chocolate in the top part and place over the water. (You can also use a metal bowl over a saucepan.)
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a fork or skewer to pick up the peanut butter balls, dip them into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to harden.
Low Carb No Bake Treats to Try
- This Cookie Dough Cheesecake is sheer bliss! (Make sure you use the low-carb substitutions.
- If you have always loved to eat the cookie dough, you are going to fall in love with these Cookie Dough Fat Bombs.
- Craving a bite of chocolate? You are going to go wild for this Keto Chocolate Mint Candy. So ridiculously good!