This Keto Sesame Chicken is so easy to whip up right at home! Whether you make this dish in the Instant Pot or on the stove, everything comes together in one pot for easy prep and clean up. It has a punch of Asian flavors with a hint of heat and a subtle sweetness that's sure to satisfy your craving for takeout. (But without the unwanted carbs or added sugar!) This is one of those dishes you'll find yourself making (and craving!) again and again.
If you love the flavors of Chinese takeout but don't love all the carbs, sugar, or soy that come with it, then this Keto Sesame Chicken recipe is for you!
My husband has always loved Asian-inspired foods. I didn't grow up eating them, but thanks to recipes like Keto Teriyaki Chicken, now they are some of my favorite flavors.
This easy Sesame Chicken is right at the top of my list. It gets a kick from the coconut aminos, fresh ginger, and garlic with just a hint of heat that's balanced by the subtle sweetness. And you can choose to make it in the Instant Pot or on the stove!
Whether you're craving takeout or just want to spice up your dinner routine, definitely give this easy recipe a try.
- Sesame Oil - Great for giving this dish its signature flavor.
- Chicken - I used chicken thighs, but boneless chicken breast will also work if you prefer.
- Coconut Aminos - This sauce made from coconut sap is the best keto-friendly alternative to soy sauce that I have found. It is gluten-free and soy-free.
- Broth - I have a strong preference for homemade chicken broth because the flavor is so much better. It's easy to make in the Instant Pot with scraps!
- Swerve Confectioners - Any powdered sugar substitute is fine here.
- Rice Vinegar - Make sure you choose unseasoned rice vinegar to avoid unwanted added sugar.
- Garlic - I prefer freshly minced, but if you want to save some time, frozen or jarred works too.
- Fresh Minced Ginger - You could use powdered if necessary, but you won't get quite the same kick as you do from fresh.
- Crushed Red Pepper - If you're sensitive to spicy food, you can reduce or omit this ingredient. If you like heat, feel free to add more!
- Salt - I use pink Himalayan sea salt
- Xanthan Gum - This will thicken the sauce to coat the chicken. You can leave it out, but the sauce will be thinner.
- Sesame Seeds - Perfect for garnishing the chicken.
Tips & Tricks
- If you're making Instant Pot sesame chicken, make sure you scrape up the browned bits after sauteeing the chicken. Otherwise, your Instant Pot may give you the burn message.
- If you are low carb and not keto, gluten free tamari or soy sauce works in place of coconut aminos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional sesame chicken is usually battered and deep-fried, then tossed in a sauce that includes sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch. This can be troublesome for those who are sensitive to gluten, trying to avoid soy, or are following a low-carb diet. This recipe, on the other hand, uses gluten-free, low-carb ingredients and replaces soy sauce with coconut aminos to make it suitable for a keto diet.
Instead of using cornstarch like traditional sesame chicken recipes, I recommend using xanthan gum to thicken the sauce without adding unnecessary carbs.
There are plenty of great sides to go with this dish. A few of my favorites are:
Due to the added sugar, cornstarch, and soy sauce, traditional sesame chicken is not a good choice for someone following a keto way of eating. However, this recipe for low carb sesame chicken is perfectly suited for a keto diet.
Absolutely! This recipe can be made either on your stovetop or in the Instant Pot, whichever you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Instant Pot or Skillet
- Small Bowl
You can store this easy Keto Sesame Chicken recipe in the refrigerator for up to four days.
For longer storage, you can freeze the cooked chicken in a freezer-safe container for about 2 months.
How To Make Keto Sesame Chicken
Instant Pot Instructions
First, select saute on the Instant Pot and set the heat to high. Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
Season the chicken thighs with salt.
When the Instant Pot says hot, add the chicken and cook until brown, working in batches if necessary.
Remove the chicken from the pot.
In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos, chicken broth, Swerve, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Add the mixture to the pressure cooker. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits so you don't get the burn message.
Return the chicken to the pot and lock the lid. Cook on high for 3 minutes and then do an instant release.
Press cancel, then select saute. Add the xanthan gum plus the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil and cook until the sauce thickens.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve
Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned.
In a small bowl stir together the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil, coconut aminos, chicken broth, Swerve, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Add the sauce to the skillet and stir until combined. Sprinkle with xanthan gum and cook until the sauce thickens.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve
You May Also Like These Keto Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Keto Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms is tender, juicy, and ridiculously easy to make.
- This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is simple to prep and packed with bright flavors. The garlicky lemon sauce on top is absolutely magical!
- The creamy cheese sauce adds a touch of indulgence to this Instant Pot Italian Chicken without making it too heavy.
- This flavor-packed Chicken Tinga can be made in either the slow cooker or the Instant Pot for a super-convenient and tasty weeknight meal!
Keto Sesame Chicken
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 1 ½ pound chicken thighs cut into ¾” pieces
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Confectioners
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Instant Pot Instructions
- Select saute and heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt. Add the chicken when the Instant Pot says hot and cook until brown, working in batches if necessary.
- Remove the chicken from the pot.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos, chicken broth, Swerve, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Add into the pressure cooker and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the chicken to the pot and lock the lid. Cook on high for 3 minutes and then do an instant release.
- Press cancel and select saute. Add the xanthan gum and remaining tablespoon of sesame oil and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos, chicken broth, Swerve, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and stir until combined. Sprinkle with xanthan gum and cook until the sauce thickens.