Every time I make this recipe, I wonder why I don’t make it more often. This Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice takes less than 20 minutes to throw together and is the perfect one-dish meal.
Low Carb Cauliflower Rice Backstory
There are certain dishes that just scream comfort food.
Although it may not be the first thing that pops into mind for some, settling down to a big bowl of Fried Rice has always made me smile.
Of course, when I went low carb, fried rice was instantly off the menu.
Or was it?
You won’t believe how much this Low Carb Cauliflower Rice tastes like the “real thing.” In fact, I fed it to my parents who are both very traditional when it comes to food, and both of them fell in love.
As in, talking about it days later kind of love.
If you have never tried cauli-rice, you are going to be shocked by how good it is.
Or maybe not.
Because it seems like cauliflower is the super-hero of the low carb and vegetable world these days, doesn’t it?
There seems to be nothing it can’t do, but I would argue that one of the things that it does best is to make “rice”.
Know what else is great about making Cauliflower Fried Rice? You’ve got a one-pan dinner that is ready in just about 20 minutes. I’d call that a score!
How to Make Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
Time needed: 19 minutes.How to Make Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Make Cauliflower Rice
Make “rice” by either grating the cauliflower with a box grater or cutting into florets and pulsing in a food processor. On the other hand, you can also buy Cauliflower Rice at most grocery stores.
- Heat Your Skillet
Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the Egg
Whisk eggs and season. Cook in the skillet for about 3 minutes, until set. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook the Chicken
Add avocado oil to the pan. Cook chicken for 2 minutes.
- Add the Onion
Stir in the diced onion and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add in Zucchini and Mushrooms
Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Mix in the other ingredients.
Mix in the riced cauliflower, eggs, coconut milk, and coconut aminos.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes longer, stirring often.
This dish is best served warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have two options for making cauliflower into rice.
The first one is to use a box grater to grate the cauliflower. Watch those fingers!
The second option is to use a food processor. To do this, core the cauliflower and cut into florets. Pulse in your food processor until the cauliflower resembles rice.
Yes! Most all grocery stores carry cauliflower rice in the freezer section. Some stores, especially places like Whole Foods, often also have fresh cauliflower rice in the produce section. As a result, making recipes with it has never been easier!
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Food Processor or Box Grater
- Large Skillet or Wok
Variations for This Recipe
- In place of the chicken, substitute another protein. Good options include bacon, chorizo, ground beef, or shrimp.
- Feel free to substitute other vegetables. Options include kale, spinach, watercress, baby boy chow, bell pepper, broccoli, and snow peas. Clean out that produce drawer!
- Instead of topping the finished dish with Sriracha, try a drizzle of Chili oil or toasted sesame oil.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cut the cauliflower in half, and remove the core. Cut into florets.
- Grate cauliflower using a box grater or pulse in the food processor until riced. If you are using a food processor, be careful not to over process, or you will have mashed cauliflower!
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Whisk the eggs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until just set, (About 3 minutes.) Transfer to a plate and cut into large pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and add chicken — Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in onion, and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in cauliflower rice, eggs, coconut milk, and coconut aminos. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes more.