Chocolate perks up any day, and when you combine chocolate, ice cream, chocolate syrup, and nuts, you have sheer bliss. This Keto Chocolate Chaffle Sundae is the stuff dreams are made of! Who said eating low carb was tough?
If you had told me a few years back that I'd be enjoying a dessert that contained mozzarella cheese, I would have told you that you were crazy.
The truth is, chaffles have been a complete game-changer for me. From savory sandwiches and breakfasts to delicious snacks and desserts, they make an almost daily appearance on my table.
Even my kids - who aren't keto or low carb - love them.
Today's latest version is this delicious Chocolate Chaffle. We like to make a sundae out of it, but if you don't have ice cream on hand, topping it with whipped cream would be fabulous too. Either way, I think you will agree that chocolate chaffles deserve to become a habit.
Frequently Asked Questions for Chocolate Chaffles
Make sure you check out this post on How to Make Keto Chaffles! It offers a comprehensive overview of everything you need to make chaffles.
What is a Chaffle?
A chaffle is a waffle made from egg and cheese. Often either coconut flour or almond flour is added, as well as other ingredients for flavoring. Chaffles can be sweet or savory.
Which waffle maker is best?
It is a matter of personal preference. If you want to get your chaffles crispy, I recommend the Dash-Mini. It is super affordable, and clean up is a breeze. I have made chaffles with my regular waffle iron. While I liked the flavor and texture, the shape wasn't well suited for recipes like my Reuben Sandwich and Avocado Toast. I prefer the dash mini.
Get the Dash Mini HERE.
How do I keep sweet chaffles from being too cheesy?
The most important thing here is to use a mild cheese like mozzarella. More flavorful chaffles can be great for savory recipes but stick to mozzarella here.
Can you freeze chaffles?
Yes, you can! Let them cool completely and place them in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. They should keep for a couple of months. To reheat, I recommend using a toaster oven. (But the microwave works too. Just don't expect it to get crispy.)
What sweetener is best in chaffles?
I am a big fan of Swerve confectioners, but any keto-friendly sweetener works. Feel free to play around here and use whatever works for you. One caution is that some sweeteners can get a little gritty. If you are using something other than a confectioners-style sugar and find this is a problem for you, give the sweetener a whirl in your food processor before first.
Tips for Making Chocolate Chaffles
- Don't skip preheating your waffle iron. I like to plug mine in before I start getting ingredients out to make my chocolate chaffles. Giving your waffle iron time to preheat fully is key to making the best chaffles. The only time I've ever had problems with chaffles sticking was when my waffle iron was not warm enough.
- If you are using the dash mini, you need about ¼ cup of batter per chaffle. Be careful not to overfill your waffle iron!
- Don't undercook your chaffles! This can happen if you rely on the light of your waffle iron to tell you when it is done. For the dash mini, I have found that between five and seven minutes is to my liking, but experiment and see what works best for you.
More Chaffle Recipes to Try:
- Going low carb doesn't mean you have to give up your favorites. You are going to go wild for this Keto Chaffle Reuben Sandwich!
- Start your day right! Blueberry Chaffles are kid-approved - but so delicious you might want to keep them for yourself.
- Looking for more dessert ideas? Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are a delicious option.
- Peanut Butter Chaffles make a fabulous snack and are hearty enough for breakfast.
Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sundaes
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg, cheese, Swerve, cocoa powder, baking powder, and vanilla
- Divide into either halves or thirds, depending on the size of your waffle iron. You need roughly ¼ cup of batter per chaffle in the dash mini.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Top the chaffles with ice cream, sprinkle with pecans, and drizzle with chocolate sauce.