Low carb pizza is my ultimate quick dinner. This Fathead Pizza Dough is simple to make and allows me to have pizza on the table in less than 30 minutes. Pizza crust that is so good you won't believe it. This recipe is one the whole family - even those not on a Keto - diet will love!
Fathead Pizza Dough is a Game Changer for Keto!
Confession time: I love carbs.
Not what you were expecting on a low carb website, perhaps. But the truth.
The problem is that as much as I love them, I don't feel good when I eat them. My mind is scattered, I'm unproductive, and I spend half of the day running to the kitchen looking for a snack.
When I eat low carb or keto and strictly avoid gluten, I feel so much better. I get more done. And the scale stops the climb that started around the time I simultaneously turned 40 and found out that I have Hashimoto's.
For me to be consistent with a keto diet, replacing all of my favorites was a must. At the top of my list: pizza.
This Fathead Pizza Crust is a low carb dieter's dream. So good and tastes SO MUCH like the real thing.
Now let me be clear - as I am sure 99.9% of you already know - I did not come up with this concept. There are hundreds if not thousands of fathead pizza dough recipes out there, and this is my take on it.
I think you will agree - this recipe is one that deserves to go in your weekly rotation.
How to Make Fathead Pizza Dough
1 First, place cream cheese and shredded mozzarella in a saucepan.
2 Heat over medium heat until the cheeses melt, stirring often.
3 When the cheeses are well combined and uniform, remove from heat.
4 Stir in almond flour, and add the egg on top of the almond flour.
5 Stir well and add in seasonings.
6 Place the dough on parchment paper and knead to ensure that everything is well combined.
7 Next, form into a disk and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper.
8 Finally, place into a parchment-lined pizza pan and bake for 8 minutes. Flip and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is fathead pizza?
Fathead pizza dough is a keto-friendly dough that is made from shredded cheese, cream cheese, egg, and almond flour. (Sometimes coconut flour is used.) It originated from the oldest son of the Fathead Movie.
How many carbs are in fathead pizza crust?
Recipes can vary slightly, but this recipe has two net carbs (four total) per slice. So, you can enjoy two slices of pizza and still stay within your macros.
Can this crust be made ahead?
Absolutely. You can keep this for up to a week covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze fathead crust?
Yes! I have frozen it for up to a month, and it was still great. Perfect to have on hand for those days where you forget to plan.
How do you reheat fathead pizza crust?
I am not a big fan of the microwave, so I recommend reheating it in an oven or toaster oven. Five minutes in an air fryer is also a great option.
Variations for This Recipe
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the cheese and mozzarella mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or 2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- In place of Italian Seasoning, add 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon marjoram. Another blend I like is 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and 1 teaspoon dried parsley.
You May Also Like:
- Keto Marinara works fabulously as a pizza sauce!
- Looking for a great meat sauce to enjoy on pizza? You are going to be wild about this Keto Meat Sauce.
Fathead Pizza Dough Recipe
No need to skip pizza night when you are on a low carb diet! This Fathead Pizza Dough comes together in less time than it would take you for delivery and will have you wondering why you ever ate anything else.
Fathead Pizza Dough
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese 1 1/2 cups
- 2 ounces cream cheese diced
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon plain whey protein powder optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the cheeses are melted, stirring often. (You may also use the microwave.)
- Remove from heat and stir in egg, almond flour, protein powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and knead the dough until it is well combined.
- Roll out into a circle.
- Bake on a parchment-lined pizza pan for 8 minutes.
- Flip and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Add toppings and cook until the cheese is melted and heated through.