This Keto Marinara Sauce recipe is one you will turn to again and again. Sure, you can buy marinara, but homemade tastes so much better. (Plus – it is always great to control what is going into what you are eating!) . The hands-on time is minimal here, and you will be richly rewarded for your efforts. Try it once and, like me, you’ll be addicted!
The Whole Family Will Love This Keto Marinara Sauce!
One of the hardest things about being on a low carb or keto diet is having to cook one meal for myself and another for my kids.
I try to avoid this as much as possible and find a special joy when I create basic recipes – like this Keto Marinara – that the whole family will love.
I know a lot of people resist the idea of making things that they can easily buy, and I get it.
But I promise – this is so simple to throw together on the weekend, and it tastes A-MA-ZING!
If you want a chunky sauce, you can leave it as is. Or for a smoother sauce, process it in a food processor or blender until smooth. (This is what I often do – that way the kids can use it for pizza and meatballs.)
I’ve used this to make Keto Manicotti (coming soon), and I must say it was out of this world.
How to Make Keto Marinara Sauce
Step 1: Heat olive oil and butter in a stock pot.
Step 2: Add onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Step 3: Stir in tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and crushed pepper flakes.
Step 4: Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the ingredients for Keto Marinara Sauce?
- Unsalted butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Canned whole peeled tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Is marinara and tomato sauce OK on a keto diet?
Tomatoes and tomato sauce, in moderation, is ok on a Keto diet. However, prepared marinara, pizza sauce, and other red sauces often have added sugars in them. For this reason, it is important that you read labels if you are going to be buying tomato sauce and marinara.
How long does this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
This recipe will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator.
Can this recipe be frozen?
This recipe can be frozen for up to three months.
Variations for This Recipe:
- You can use 3 1/2 pounds of fresh ripe tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes.
- If desired, stir in fresh basil and/or oregano in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- If you are low carb and not keto, a grated carrot added in when you add the onion adds a nice hint of sweetness.
- Stir in 3 ounces of Parmesan cheese at the end.
If You Like This Low Carb Marinara You May Also Like:
- This Keto Chicken Parmesan is simple enough for a weeknight, but fancy enough for company!
- This Keto Meatloaf is pure comfort food!
Keto Marinara Sauce Recipe
This Keto Marinara Sauce is something I like to make on the weekends. Usually, I will make a double batch and freeze half to use later in the week. If I am planning on pizza, I freeze it in smaller portions so that I can defrost just what I need. Try it, and I think you will agree – it is so much better than store bought.
Keto Marinara Sauce Recipe
- Stock pot
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2-28 ounces San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large stock pan to medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and crushed pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes.