This Keto Asparagus is astoundingly easy to make and makes the perfect low carb side dish. You need this recipe on hand for busy weeknights – it takes just 10 minutes to make with less than 5 minutes of hands-on time. It is a cinch to throw together!
Keto Asparagus – A Simple & Delicious Side!
I used to think that I didn’t like asparagus.
I was traumatized in college by a friend who invited me over from dinner and proceeded to serve asparagus from a can. Since it wasn’t a vegetable that my mother ever cooked while I was growing up, this was my first experience with it.
To say that I was unimpressed would be an understatement.
It was mushy, tasteless, and gross.
I am someone who is super-conscious of hurting other peoples feelings, especially when they’ve gone to the trouble of making a meal for me. So despite my feelings about the dish, I forced myself to eat it.
As a result, I swore: never again.
Then I got married. And guess why hubby’s favorite vegetable is?
You guessed it. Asparagus.
I’ve always loved cooking for him, however, this was one dish I wouldn’t budge on.
It was years into our relationship that he finally coaxed me to try a bite of his asparagus at a restaurant. (I am pretty sure that the only reason I did it was that at that point I’d already had a couple of glasses of wine.)
It was nothing like what I’d had before. It was crispy, crunchy, and above all, tasted fabulous!
Since then, I make dishes like this Keto Asparagus on a regular basis. I love that it only takes 5 minutes to cook! It is the perfect low-carb and healthy side dish for those nights when I forget to plan a side.
How to Make Low Carb Asparagus
#1 Preheat: You can make this recipe in the oven or the air fryer. If using an air fryer, preheat to 390 degrees. If using an oven, preheat to 420 degrees.
#2 Trim: Trim the ends off the bottom.
#3 Mix: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
#4 Pour: Place the vegetables in a bowl and pour the olive oil mixture over it.
#5 Cook: Arrange in a single layer in an air fryer basked or on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook in the Air fryer for 5 to 11 minutes, depending on the desired doneness. Cook in the oven for 6 to 13 minutes.
#6 Plate: Transfer the cooked veggies to a serving platter. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the vegetables and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Asparagus, like all other green vegetables, are a fantastic addition to your ketogentic diet. One spear has just .3g of net carbs, meaning it would be hard to over-do the carbs when choosing asparagus as your side.
It is a fabulous side for steak, and works equally well with roasted chicken. Cooled roasted asparagus is a great addition to a salad. You can also serve it and a “pasta” Alfredo using zucchini noodles in place of traditional pasta.
It is an excellent source of probiotics, which help to feed the friendly bacteria in your gut. Additionally, it is a good source of vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6. It is an alkaline food, which is especially important to include in a keto or low carb lifestyle.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe:
- Air Fryer or Baking Sheet and Parchment Paper
- Hand Grater or Food Processor with a Grating Disk
Variations for Low Carb Asparagus
- If you are dairy free, skip the Parmesan. Use lime juice instead of lemon juice, at a pinch of cayenne pepper, and top with toasted pine nuts.
- Top with pancetta or bacon.
- Use goat cheese instead of Parmesan cheese.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- 1 pound asparagus with ends snapped off
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt for an extra punch of flavor use truffle sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees or your oven to 420 degrees.
- Trim the ends of your asparagus off. If you have especially thick asparagus, you may wish to trim the sides as well.
- Place the asparagus in a bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour over the asparagus and toss to coat.
Air Fryer Keto Asparagus
- Spread the asparagus in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook in batches.
- Cook for 5 minutes for crisp-tender asparagus, or for 8 to 11 minutes for asparagus that is crisp and brown but still tender on the inside.
Baked Keto Asparagus
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread asparagus in a single layer.
- Cook for 6 minutes for crisp-tender asparagus, or for 10 to 13 minutes for asparagus that is crisp and brown but still tender inside.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the asparagus and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- If you are dairy free, skip the Parmesan.
- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice, at a pinch of cayenne pepper, and top with toasted pine nuts.
- Top with pancetta or bacon. Keto Asparagus with Bacon = Dinner Bliss!
- Use goat cheese instead of Parmesan cheese.
- Melted butter can be used instead of the oil . (Use unsalted – that way you can control the salt levels!)