Are you looking for the perfect addition to your summertime BBQ? Keto Potato Salad with Cauliflower is sure to be a hit. This faux “potato” salad allows you to enjoy the flavors of the much-loved classic while sticking to your low-carb diet. I call that winning!
I have always loved potato salad.
What’s not to love? Soft and tender potatoes in a deliciously creamy dressing.
Oh, right. The carbs.
While I love real potato salad, I don’t always love the way white carbs leave me feeling.
This Keto Potato Salad is the best way I know to satisfy my summertime cravings without blowing my low-carb diet.
It has all the flavors of your favorite potato salad, with a bit of added crunch.
I think you will be shocked at just how good this mock potato salad is!
Ingredients for Making Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Cauliflower: You want about two pounds of cauliflower, roughly one large head or two small ones. It does not need to be exact.
- Mayonnaise: You can make homemade mayo, or you can buy it. If you choose to buy it, make sure you read the label. Some brands have sugar which even in small amounts can stall your keto diet. To make cauliflower potato salad keto, you want to make sure you are using sugar-free mayo.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: If you don’t have this on hand, you can substitute freshly squeezed lemon juice or red wine vinegar.
- Sweetener: I used Swerve confectioners, but feel free to use your preferred low-carb sweetener.
- Celery Salt: Celery salt is a great alternative to regular salt that adds a warm, earthy taste and hints of grassiness. If you don’t have it on hand, you can make your own. Just toast 1 part celery seed in a dry pan until it is fragrant. Crush the seeds with a pestle and mortar and then mix with 6 parts of sea salt.
- Bacon: Your preferred kind of bacon works here - beef, pork, or turkey.
- Dill Pickles: Sometimes, you can find pickle relish that is keto-friendly, but most of the time it is loaded with sugar. Whichever route you choose, make sure you read the label. You want pickles with zero carbs or calories.
- Celery: For even more celery flavor, you can finely chop the leaves and add them into the mix.
- Eggs: Everyone has a different opinion as to whether hard-boiled eggs belong in potato salad. Do what you like here! You can even get all fancy and throw in a couple of chopped Keto Deviled Eggs if you like.
- Chives: I am a big fan of fresh chives here, but they aren’t always easy to find. If you can’t find them, parsley is an excellent substitute.
- Smoked Paprika: You can find both Hungarian paprika and the sweeter Spanish paprika in smoked varieties. They can be either hot (picante) or sweet (dulce). Use what you prefer.
Tips & Tricks
- To avoid excess moisture in this keto potato salad recipe, I like to blot the cauliflower after cooking it. To do this, just spread it out on paper towels and place another layer of paper towels over it. Blot gently, being careful not to mash the cauliflower.
- I find that blanching for four minutes is perfect, but feel free to adjust the cooking time according to your desired tenderness.
It is also a fun side for Keto Chili Cheese Dog Casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unfortunately, traditional potato salad is not suitable for a low-carb or keto diet. Potatoes are loaded with carbs. Rest assured that this cauliflower potato salad recipe fits perfectly into a gluten-free and low-carb lifestyle.
You can, but it isn’t necessary. Doing so for an hour or two gives the flavors a chance to meld. If you are short on time, it will still be delicious if you serve it right away.
I have tried it, and you can. I like to roast it rather than boiling it for the best texture. That being said, I prefer fresh cauliflower with this recipe.
You can store this recipe in the refrigerator for up to four days. It is best within a day or two of making it.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe as mayonnaise does not freeze well.
How to Make Keto Potato Salad
First, start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Don’t forget to add the salt!
Add your cauliflower florets and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool the cauliflower down. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Tip: You can also spread the cauliflower on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
While the cauliflower is cooking, make the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Swerve, and celery salt in a small bowl.
Add the bacon, dill pickles, chopped celery, and eggs to the large bowl with the cauliflower.
Add the dressing to the bowl and toss to combine.
Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with the chives and paprika, and enjoy!
More Keto Side Dish Recipes to Try
- You are going to love this rich and creamy Keto Spinach Casserole. It is the perfect side for a steak and also works well as a vegetarian main. (Or you can add bacon!) However you enjoy it, I think you will agree it is a winner.
- The first time I had roasted radishes, I was shocked at how delicious they were. These Keto Radishes deserve a regular spot in your dinner rotation.
- When you want to mix things up, these BBQ Cauliflower Wings are a fun way to do it. I love them as a side to grilled chicken.
- Keto Cauliflower Casserole is a deliciously cheesy side that never fails to delight.
Keto Potato Salad with Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower chopped into small florets (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Swerve confectioners
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 8 ounces bacon cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs peeled and chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Swerve, and celery salt.
- Add the bacon, dill pickles, celery, and eggs to the bowl with the cauliflower.
- Toss with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the chives and paprika.