Simplicity and perfection collide in this delicious Keto Mashed Cauliflower. With just six ingredients, this recipe is the best creamy cauliflower mash ever. This easy side dish deserves to become a habit!
Creamy Keto Mashed Cauliflower is Pure Comfort Food!
There are a whole lot of reasons to make cauliflower a regular part of your low carb diet.
It is full of vitamin C, fiber, and potassium, and this low carb veggie is one of the most versatile things around.
Cauliflower is a low carb alternative for everything from rice to pizza crust. Or, in the case of this Keto Mashed Cauliflower, it makes a great alternative to potatoes.
As someone who grew up in the South, I am pretty particular about mashed potatoes. The first several times I tried mashed cauliflower, I was underwhelmed.
But this recipe - I couldn’t love it anymore. It is easy to make, but so unbelievably flavor-packed.
Although not strictly necessary - you can roast or steam cauliflower too - cooking it in a good flavorful broth adds a dimension of flavor that you don’t get otherwise.
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
One of my favorite ways to make mashed cauliflower is to cook the cauliflower in the Instant Pot! It is super easy.
To make cauliflower in the Instant pot, place the broth in the bottom and put your steamer basket or trivet on top. Add the cauliflower and close the lid.
Set your valved to seal and cook on manual high pressure for three minutes. Do a quick release.
Open the lid, and let it cool for a couple of minutes. Place the cauliflower on paper towels to drain and proceed with the recipe as directed.
Is Cauliflower Keto-Friendly?
Absolutely! Cauliflower is one of the best vegetables around for a keto diet. An entire head of cauliflower has just 17 net carbs. It is also extremely versatile.
How many carbs are in mashed cauliflower?
The number of carbohydrates will vary according to the recipe. This simple recipe has 3.7 net carbs per serving.
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! This recipe can be made up to two days ahead of time.
This recipe should be stored in a tightly covered dish in the refrigerator. Resist the temptation of letting it hang around your refrigerator for too long - cauliflower gets pretty stinky after a few days.
Look for heads of cauliflower that are free from any discoloration and have tight firm florets.
Cauliflower should be wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator. There is no need to keep it in the crisper drawer. It should keep for about a week.
- I am a big fan of the cream cheese in this recipe, but sour cream works too. Marscapone cheese also works beautifully.
- For a richer dish, feel free to add in more butter.
- For a kick of heat 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper is nice.
What Do You Serve With Keto Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes?
- Comfort food doesn't get any better than this Creamy Mashed Cauliflower with Keto Beef Stroganoff.
- Keto Slow Cooker Beef is perfect for when you want an easy meal that is full of flavor.
Creamy Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the broth and salt to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower. Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels. Reserve the remaining cooking water.
- To make cauliflower in the Instant pot, place the broth in the bottom and put your steamer basket or trivet on top. Add the cauliflower and close the lid.
- Set your valved to seal and cook on manual high pressure for three minutes. Do a quick release.
- Open the lid, and let it cool for a couple of minutes. Reserve the remaining liquid. Place the cauliflower on paper towels to drain and proceed with the recipe as directed.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor and add cream cheese, butter, and black pepper.
- Process for 3 minutes, until very smooth. Add remaining cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reach. Taste and season with salt and pepper.