Are you looking for low-carb and gluten-free comfort food? You are going to love this Keto Meatball Stroganoff. This delicious dish has all the flavors you love in a deliciously creamy sauce. Try this once, and you will be hooked.
Budget-friendly and family-friendly, this Keto Meatball Stroganoff is a delicious way to get your fix of savory comfort food without all the carbohydrates.
Made with just a few simple ingredients, it's quick and easy to prepare.
This keto stroganoff with meatballs is easily adaptable to suit your taste. Whether you like your stroganoff extra saucy, with lots of mushrooms, or extra cheesy, this recipe will work for you.
Ingredients for Making Stroganoff with Meatballs
- Butter: I use grass-fed unsalted butter in this recipe. You could also use ghee, but it will change the flavor slightly.
- Mushrooms: I like to use white button mushrooms, but feel free to use any mushroom type.
- Onion: I diced a small onion for this recipe, but you could also use dehydrated onion flakes.
- Garlic: I used one clove of garlic, minced. (Craving more garlic flavor? Feel free to add two cloves of garlic.) You could also use ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the sea salt and fresh ground pepper in this recipe to suit your liking. (I like a teaspoon of salt here.)
- Beef Broth: I used beef broth in this recipe, but you could also use chicken broth or veggie broth.
- Cream Cheese: Use full-fat cream cheese in this recipe.
- Coconut Aminos: You could also use soy sauce or tamari in this recipe if you are not following a keto diet.
- Dijon Mustard: Sour cream and dijon mixture give stroganoff its classic flavor.
- Keto Meatballs: I have a recipe for keto meatballs made with ground beef and parmesan cheese that I love, but feel free to use your favorite recipe or even store-bought meatballs if you can find ones that work for your diet.
- Sour Cream: Use full-fat sour cream.
Want a Thicker Sauce?
I find that the cream cheese makes this sauce plenty thick, but if you want the sauce to be thicker, you can add ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum. (If you aren’t strictly low carb, you could use a tablespoon of arrowroot powder.)
I recommend removing a cup of the sauce (or a little less) from the pan. Place it in a small bowl, sprinkle the xanthan gum, and then whisk vigorously. This will prevent clumps.
Return the sauce to the pan and whisk to combine.
Don’t want to use xanthan gum but want a thicker sauce? You could use a cup of beef broth instead of 1 ½ cups and add an extra tablespoon of butter.
I love traditional stroganoff with mashed potatoes, so my go-to side dish for this keto beef stroganoff meatballs recipe is mashed cauliflower. (Truth be told, this cauli mash is so good that I love it with almost any protein.)
Crave egg noodles? Palmini noodles, spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or cabbage noodles are fabulous alternatives. Cauliflower rice is also great with this recipe.
Round your plate out with something green. Brussels sprouts or spinach salad are great options.
Tools Needed to Make Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Large skillet
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
The cream sauce will separate when frozen, so I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
How to Make Meatball Stroganoff
First, start by melting your butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Place the mushrooms and onion in the pan and cook for 8 minutes.
Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, and stir until the garlic is fragrant about 30 seconds.
Add the broth and bring to a simmer. (This is the point just before a boil.)
Reduce the heat to medium, and add the cream cheese cube to the mixture.
Cook, often whisking, until the cream cheese melts.
Add the coconut aminos and dijon mustard. Stir until combined.
Add the cooked meatballs and cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Garnish with parsley if desired.
You May Also Like
- Who doesn't love chicken nuggets? They're delicious, but they're not always the healthiest option. I'm excited to share this keto chicken nugget recipe with you. These nuggets are not only delicious but healthy and low-carb.
- Looking for a delicious meal to wow your loved ones? Air Fryer Filet Mignon is deliciously easy and sure to impress.
- If you love salmon, don’t miss this buttery Keto Salmon Recipe. It is super-easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight.
- For a simple family meal, Keto Roast Beef is always a hit.
Keto Meatball Stroganoff
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 6 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 recipe keto meatballs cooked
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- For serving: Palmini Noodles or Zucchini Noodles
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onion and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and whisk in the cream cheese.
- Cook until the cream cheese melts.
- Add the coconut aminos and Dijon mustard and stir until combined.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve over Palmini Noodles or Zucchini Noodles
Leave a Reply