When you are craving comfort food, this Keto Chicken Spaghetti is perfect! It takes about 30-minutes to make and is so flavor-packed. This recipe is one to turn to when you want serious flavors and don’t have much time.
Confession: Though I strive to maintain a low-carb lifestyle, the one thing that is quick to derail me is pasta.
I have loved it since childhood, and I doubt I will ever stop.
When I am craving comfort food, pasta is the first place my mind goes.
If you love pasta as much as I do, you are going to go wild for this Keto Chicken Spaghetti. It is a simple combination of flavors that I never get tired of.
While nothing exactly replicates pasta, I find palmini noodles to be the best substitute I’ve found. I seriously love them and think you will too.
Ingredients for Making Low Carb Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken - Either boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs works.
- Italian Seasoning - If you don’t have this on hand, oregano or thyme work fine.
- Salt and pepper - Adjust the amount to your liking.
- Butter - I like the added flavor of buttery sauteed chicken. (Especially when using chicken breasts.) If you like, avocado oil is also an option.
- Onion - If you don’t have fresh onion on hand, use ½ teaspoon of onion powder to season the meat.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic is best here, but ½ teaspoon of garlic powder can also be used.
- Diced Tomatoes - I used a 10 oz can to keep the carbs down. If all you can find is a 14-ounce can, you can freeze the leftovers for another time or use the entire can and adjust the macros. I have done this, and the cream sauce is just fine with an extra 4 ounces of tomatoes.
- Chicken Broth - Try my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth for a quick and economical option.
- Xanthan Gum - This thickens the sauce. You can omit it, but expect the sauce to be thin.
- Cheese - Feel free to play with the type of cheeses used in this recipe.
- Palmini Noodles - I LOVE this low carb chicken pasta with palmini noodles, and I highly encourage you to try them. You can find them in many grocery stores and also online.
Tips and Tricks
- If possible, season the chicken at least one hour before cooking or up to overnight.
- If you are using zucchini noodles, make sure you cook them and then drain them well. Otherwise, they will add too much moisture to the sauce. Saute them in a skillet for a minute or two and then drain well. I like to blot them with paper towels before adding them to the dish.
- I recommend grating your cheese because bagged cheese has additives that can add unnecessary carbs to the recipe.
- For an added kick of heat, add ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder.
- For a fun variation, add in chopped bell pepper when you add in the onion.
- I make this with Palmini noodles, but zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash are also a great option. I often cook some gluten-free spaghetti for the family so that we can all eat the same thing!
- Heavy whipping cream keeps this recipe keto-friendly, but if you are low carb and not keto, half and half works well.
- Four ounces of cream cheese may be substituted for the heavy cream. You may wish to omit the xanthan gum as the cream cheese will help to thicken the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Either are great options. Since chicken thighs have more fat than breast, they are a bit more keto-friendly and add more flavor.
You sure can. If you happen to have a rotisserie chicken or other cooked chicken in the fridge, this is a great way to use it up.
Just shred or chop the chicken, and add the seasonings and chicken with the onion after the butter melts.
You sure can. Just use a regular skillet and transfer the recipe to a casserole dish before placing your baking dish under the broiler.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Chicken Pasta
- Oven Safe Skillet
- Strainer (for rinsing palmini noodles) or Spiralizer
- Large bowl
Making Ahead and Storage
Keto Chicken Spaghetti is great when you need something you can make ahead.
I would go so far as to say that this recipe is better when made ahead if you are using palmini noodles. Having no taste of their own, they absorb the flavors of the cream sauce.
This recipe can be made up to one day ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge before broiling. (Remember to allow enough cooking time to get the dish warmed thoroughly before serving.)
Leftovers will keep up to three days in the refrigerator or frozen for up to one month.
How to Make Keto Chicken Spaghetti
See the recipe card below for the full recipe with measurements.
Start by preheating your broiler.
Next, toss chicken with the seasonings in a large bowl.
Melt the butter in an oven-safe skillet, and then brown the meat.
Add the onion and garlic, and stir until fragrant.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, and cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Stir in the xanthan gum and cook until the sauce thickens.
Add in 1 ½ cups of cheese, and cook until melted.
Stir in the rinsed and drained palmini noodles, and top with the remaining cheese.
Place under the broiler until bubbly.
You May Also Like
- Keto Meat Sauce is easy to make, and works in so many dishes. For a simple meal, I will often serve it with palmini noodles.
- Looking for an easy side? This Air Fryer Broccoli is always a hit.
- Keto Swedish Meatballs are a delicious and filling meal that the whole family can agree on.
Keto Chicken Spaghetti
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast cubed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 can palmini noodles drained and rinsed or 2 zucchini, spiralized (see tips and tricks)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, and cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in xanthan gum and cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the parmesan cheese. Cook until melted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in palmini noodles and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cook under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.