Cheese makes everything better, and this delicious Keto Cheese Sauce is sure to bring a smile to your face! This simple gluten-free recipe has just a handful of ingredients and is the perfect way to liven up grilled, steamed, and roasted vegetables.
I have a long love affair with cheese, and if you share my passion, you will want to make this delicious Keto Cheese Sauce regularly!
It is a super simple way to elevate your meal and ridiculously easy to throw together.
I love it drizzled on top of vegetables (hello, broccoli and cheese!) and as a dip for protein.
I love this pretty much any way I can get it.
You have been warned - you may find yourself wanting to eat this by the spoonful! Keto recipes don’t get much easier - or more delicious - than this!
Ingredients for Making This Keto Cheese Sauce Recipe
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter. If you use salted, omit the salt initially and then taste and add as needed.
- Salt: Adjust the amount of salt to your taste.
- Dry Mustard: If you don’t have dry mustard on hand, use a tablespoon of Dijon mustard instead.
- Cayenne Pepper: This adds a subtle heat that is not overpowering. If you have children that will protest, feel free to omit it.
- Heavy Cream: If you would like to reduce the calories, you could use half unsweetened almond milk. (But I like the richness of this as is.)
- Cheddar: I recommend using sharp cheddar for the fullest flavor. You can buy shredded cheese, but I prefer to grate my own. Not only does it keep any unnecessary additives out of my diet, but it tastes better.
- Cream Cheese: To keep this keto-friendly, make sure that you use full-fat.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- For a fun variation, add in 3 ounces of blue cheese.
- Don’t skip turning the heat to low when you add the cheese to this low-carb cheese sauce. Trying to melt cheese over heat that is too high can cause it to separate.
- I find that I do not need a thickener for this sauce. If, for any reason, you want this thicker, you can keep this cheese sauce keto by using xanthan gum. Unlike flour, you only need a little! Start with ¼ of a teaspoon.
- If you would like to think the sauce out, use broth. (Like this Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth.) Alternatively, you could add more heavy cream. (Be sure to adjust the net carbs per serving if you are strictly tracking macros.)
- Feel free to add fresh herbs or spices that work with how to plan to serve this sauce. You could even add sauteed onion and jalapeno to give it a southwestern flair.
This cheese sauce is fabulous served over roasted or steamed vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini. It is even great for dipping! Try it with Low Carb Tortilla Chips or BBQ Cauliflower Wings.
You can also use it to make keto-friendly mac and cheese using keto noodles or cauliflower. Another great option is to drizzle it over zucchini noodles.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make cheese sauce with a variety of ingredients. This keto-friendly version is made with butter, salt, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, heavy whipping cream, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese.
Unfortunately, most dairy products do not freeze well. While from a food safety standpoint, you could technically freeze this sauce, the quality would deteriorate, and the sauce would separate. For this reason, I do not recommend freezing this.
Yes, cheddar cheese, as with most other cheeses, is excellent for a keto diet. Most brands contain less than one gram of carbohydrates per serving.
This is somewhat a matter of personal preference. Go for sharp cheddar cheese or even an extra sharp if you like a more robust flavor. Feeding children? You may want to opt for a mild cheese.
You can, but it will be much thinner. If you want to try this, I would recommend adding xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from Qualified Sales.
Keep this easy keto cheese sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it gently on the stovetop over low heat.
Although heating on the stovetop is the preferred method of reheating, you could also reheat it in the microwave. I recommend heating in 30-second increments, stirring in between until the desired temperature is reached.
I do not recommend freezing this flourless cheese sauce.
How to Make Keto Cheese Sauce
Start by melting the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the seasonings and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. (This is called blooming the seasonings and brings out their flavor.)
Add the heavy cream, and reduce the heat to low.
Add the shredded and cream cheese and stir until melted.
You May Also Like
- Keto Bang Bang Sauce is full of flavor and great with cauliflower, chicken, or shrimp.
- If you are craving southwestern flavors, this Keto Enchilada Sauce will take your meals to the next level.
- Keto Ranch Dressing is great for dipping and will also have you looking forward to eating a salad.
- Mix up your salad routine with this Keto Poppy Seed Dressing!
Keto Cheese Sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper and stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the cheddar and cream cheese and stir until melted.
Leave a Reply