If you’ve been craving the classic flavors of the ballpark without all the carbs, you’ve got to try this Keto Chili Cheese Dog Casserole! It’s everything you love about the all-American comfort food packed into one delicious and cheesy casserole.
This dish is kid-friendly, big enough to feed the family, and comes together in just a few easy steps. (It’s great for dinner on a busy weeknight!) Why not bring the flavors of the ballpark home with this yummy, low-carb casserole?
When it comes to all-American comfort food, the chili cheese dog is a staple. Take a classic hot dog, smother it with cheese and chili, then dig in as you Root! Root! Root! For the home team!
Of course, with the high-carb hot dog bun and mystery chili ingredients, I don’t usually indulge in this ballpark treat anymore. So, when I found myself feeling nostalgic one day, I decided to recreate the flavors I love WITHOUT the unwanted carbs. (And keep things gluten free.)
The result: this delicious Keto Chili Cheese Dog Casserole! It has everything you love about your ballpark favorite packed into one cheesy, satisfying, low-carb bake. It’s so good, even the kids will be asking for seconds of this keto friendly dish.
It’s also easy to whip up on a busy weeknight, and you can store leftovers in the fridge or freezer for easy meal prep! If you want to add a little fun to the family’s weeknight menu, definitely give this Keto Chili Dog Bake a try.
Ingredients for Making Keto Chili Dog Casserole
- Ground Beef - Since the excess grease will be drained after browning, you can use any fat percentage ground beef you like.
- Onion and Garlic - Sautéing these ingredients adds depth to the chili.
- Seasoning - Chili powder, smoked paprika, and ground cumin give us that classic chili flavor.
- Salt and Pepper - Add to taste.
- Diced Tomatoes - If you aren’t worried about picky eaters, you can buy the kind with peppers in them for added flavor. You could use tomato sauce as a substitute in a pinch.
- Beef Broth - You can use homemade from beef bones or store-bought.
- Hot Dogs - Look for brands that don’t contain added sugar. The less ingredients, the better. I used beef hot dogs, but pork works too if you prefer.
- Cheese - I use shredded cheddar so it’s as close as possible to the “real thing.” To reduce the carbs, I recommend shredding your own cheese.
Tips & Tricks
- For a quick weeknight meal, prepare the chili ahead of time. You can even double or triple the recipe for easy future meals.
- If you’re worried about picky eaters, you can reduce or omit the onion.
- If you prefer to make the chili in the slow cooker, brown the beef on the stove, then transfer to the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, and beef broth. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, stir in the hot dogs, then transfer to a baking dish and proceed as normal.
- These Keto Biscuits are a family favorite and perfect for sopping up any leftover chili!
- To add a little green to your meal, you can throw together a simple green salad while the casserole is baking.
- If you’re in the mood for summer flavors, this Low Carb Broccoli Salad is easy to make and deliciously crave-worthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
To keep this hot dog casserole keto, I recommend making your own chili. Even the no-bean brands you find at the store are usually loaded with sugar, carbohydrates, and filler ingredients like modified cornstarch and hydrolyzed soy.
Thankfully, the homemade chili for this recipe is super easy to throw together. It’s probably quicker than driving to the store to buy the canned stuff!
The trick here is to read your labels very carefully! You want to stay away from low-fat hot dogs, as these will have a lot of added sugar to make up the taste. But even with the full-fat hot dogs, you’ll still want to look for hidden sugars.
In general, the less ingredients there are in the hot dogs, the better. Bonus points if you can pronounce all of them!
Like any good casserole, this dish reheats very well. I love having leftovers to enjoy throughout the week!
Simply pop your leftovers in the microwave or oven. Cook until heated through, then dig in.
Tools Needed To Make Hot Dog Casserole Keto
- Baking Dish
If you have extra servings of Keto Hot Dog Casserole, you can store them covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. For longer storage, keep your casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You can also prep the chili in advance to make this casserole recipe a breeze! Store in the fridge if you plan to use it within a few days; otherwise, keep the chili in the freezer.
If you make more than one batch, make sure you freeze the batches in separate containers. That way, you only have to thaw one at a time when you’re ready enjoy your Keto Chili Dog Casserole.
How to Make Keto Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
One the pan is hot, add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon. Cook until the meat is brown, then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess grease.
In the same saucepan, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in the tomatoes and broth. Once well-combined, return the ground beef to the saucepan.
Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes.
Place the hot dogs on the bottom of a square baking dish and layer the chili on top. Top with cheese, then bake for 20 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
You May Also Like These Kid-Friendly Keto Recipes
- These Keto Chicken Tenders are crunchy, juicy perfection that’s great for picky kids and adults alike!
- For an easy dish that tastes like a guilty pleasure, Keto Cheeseburger Casserole is always a crowd-pleaser.
- Whip up this Keto Chicken Pot Pie for a low carb twist on classic comfort food that the whole family will love!
Keto Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 12 ounces hot dogs sliced
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon.
- Cook until the meat is brown, and then transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth and return the meat to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Place the hot dogs on the bottom of a square baking dish and layer the chili on top.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated through.
Thanks so much!
This is such an amazing dish and really easy to make. Having the rest today. Thanks for this recipe
I am so glad that you enjoyed it!
Chili Cheese Dog - Chili and hot dogs. Sounds okay and it is keto. I made it and it was SO GOOD!! My husband has had me make it two more times. I know it just sounds like chili and hot dogs but it is SO GOOD!
Can you prepare everything ahead of
Yes - this is a great one for meal prep.