You are going to want to keep this tangy Keto Enchilada Sauce on hand! It packs all the flavors of traditional enchilada sauce while remaining perfectly suited for your low-carb diet.
Best of all, it tastes. so much better than store bought. I like to double the recipe and keep a couple of jars in the freezer so that throwing together a delicious meal is a snap.
I have always been a big fan of Mexican food.
(Rather, I should say Americanized Mexican food since I am pretty sure 99% of what I eat isn't authentic.)
When I went I got serious about being gluten-free after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I was shocked to learn that a lot of commercial enchilada sauces have gluten in them. (And many are not sugar free!)
After I started reading labels more carefully, I also learned that a lot of them have things in them that don't exactly qualify as real food. (I try to stick to the if you can't pronounce an ingredient, you probably shouldn't be eating it rule.)
Since then, I've always made most of my own condiments, starting with gluten free enchilada sauce.
This Keto Enchilada Sauce is my latest creation.
The good news is that there is absolutely no sacrifice here. Although you won't find anything other than clean ingredients, this homemade keto enchilada sauce is flavor-packed, with just the right amount of kick to it.
Preparation couldn't be less complicated, and it is the perfect task to add to your weekend meal prep.
I frequently double this recipe and then portion it out into glass jars to freeze. (Tip for those new to freezing in glass jars - make sure you leave a little headroom because the sauce will expand.)
Ingredients for Keto Friendly Enchilada Sauce
- Butter: I used unsalted butter. If you choose to use salted butter, make sure you adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Onion: White or yellow onion works well here.
- Garlic: I like fresh garlic, but you could use garlic powder here too. I recommend using ½ teaspoon.
- Chipotle Chili Pepper: You can find these in small cans, typically in the ethnic section of the grocer store.
- Chicken Broth: If you would like to make your own, check out my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth recipe.
- Tomato Sauce: Use the best quality you can.
- Xanthan Gum: This is a thickener. Since a little goes a long way, I recommend storing in the freezer.
- Chili Powder: I recommend using fresh chili powder for the best flavor.
- Ground Cumin: For an extra kick of flavor, buy cumin seeds, toast them and then grind them in a spice grinder.
- Sea Salt: Adjust to your taste.
Storing Red Enchilada Sauce
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for about four days, or it can be frozen for two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Authentic enchilada sauce involves rehydrating dried chili peppers and is a process that takes about 45 minutes.
For this easy low carb enchilada sauce, you will need: butter, onion, garlic, chipotle chili pepper, chicken broth, tomato sauce, suntan gum, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt.
Enchilada Sauce typically has more kick than taco sauce. It usually also has a thinner consistency
This recipe has three net carbs per serving.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
How to Make this Keto Enchilada Sauce Recipe
First, heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and chipotle chili pepper and cook for another minute.
Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, xanthan gum, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
More Easy Keto Recipes to Try:
- Keto Ranch Dressing is a recipe that I make most every week. It is fabulous on salads, and also a great dip for meat.
- When you are looking for an easy appetizer, this Marinated Cheese is perfect. It comes together in a flash, and everyone loves it.
- Low Carb Ketchup is easy to make and much more economical than buying a keto-friendly ketchup with clean ingredients.
- Keto Marinara freezes beautifully and is perfect for meal prep.
- I am absolutely obsessed with this Keto BBQ Sauce. It is great on chicken or with meatballs.
Keto Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 chipotle chili pepper finely diced - more or less to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook, occasionally stirring for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and chipotle chili pepper, and cook, stirring constantly for 1 more minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, xanthan gum, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- May be made up to 2 days ahead of time or frozen for up to 2 months.
Other Great Low Carb Recipes To Try:
- This Avocado Sauce from Diet Doctor is quick to make and even quicker to disappear.
- Thousand Island Dressing will have you getting excited by salads.
This post was originally published in March 2019. It was updated in April 2021.