This Keto Chocolate Chip Mug Cake is flavor-packed and guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. Best of all, it is super quick to make! If you start right now, you can be enjoying a delicious cake in a matter of minutes.
As much as we all try to plan out our meals, all of us find ourselves unprepared at times.
The next time you find yourself wanting something sweet but have nothing keto-friendly in the house, let this Keto Mug Cake come to the rescue.
This delicious little cake comes together in about five minutes, give or take, with just seven ingredients. It is the best keto cake in a mug I’ve tried!
You will be shocked at how much like a real cake it is. In fact, you make find yourself forgetting that you threw this together in the microwave.
Ingredients for Making Keto Mug Cake
- Butter: I used salted butter. If you use unsalted butter, add a tiny pinch of salt.
- Egg: I recommend a large egg.
- Almond Flour: Finely ground is best here. Do not use almond meal.
- Sweetener: I used Swerve confectioners; feel free to use whatever sweetener you like.
- Baking Powder: Because baking powder uses its potency over time, make sure the baking powder you are using is fresh.
- Vanilla Extract: This is optional but recommended. It adds a nice pop of flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: Lily’s is my go-to brand. If you go with another sugar-free brand, make sure you read the label to ensure that they are keto-friendly.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you use a large enough mug or ramekin. The first time I tried this, I used a tiny ramekin, and it created quite the mess in my microwave. I recommend a container that will hold at least 10 ounces of liquid.
- The chocolate chips will sink to the bottom a bit, which is why I recommend only stirring half of them in and putting the rest on top. Sometimes I like to invert it and then spread the melted chocolate that has sunk to the bottom on top to create icing.
- To switch up the flavor a bit, you can use a Brown Sugar alternative like Surkin Gold or Swerve in place of the Swerve Confectioners.
- Since microwaves have different powers, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly.
I suggest a quick topping of sugar-free whipped cream or ice cream to take flavors to the next level.
The addition of fresh berries, such as raspberries is also an excellent option. Finish it off with a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate syrup, and your chocolate cravings don’t stand a chance!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can baked it in the oven at 350° F for about 13 minutes.
Yes! Just add one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the batter.
Yes, use avocado oil in place of the butter and dairy-free sugar-free chocolate chips.
Tools Needed to Make Chocolate Chip Keto Mug Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Microwave safe mug or ramekin.
This Chocolate Chip Keto Mug Cake can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for about four days.
I typically will eat half of the cake at a time, and reheat the leftovers in the microwave just before serving.
You can freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
First, start by melting your butter in a ramekin in the microwave.
Allow the butter to cool while you measure out your dry ingredients, and then whisk the egg into the butter.
Add the almond flour, sweetener, and baking powder and stir to combine.
Add the vanilla extract and then half of the chocolate chips. Stir and then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
Microwave for 70 seconds. Allow to cool slightly, and then serve warm.
More Keto Desserts to Try
- Looking for a refreshing snack that is sure to beat the heat? These Keto Popsicles are perfect.
- Elevate coffee time with this Keto Biscotti! These little nibbles never fail to delight.
- With just seven ingredients, these Keto Peanut Butter Cookies are easy to make and loved by kids and adults alike.
- When you find yourself wanting something rich and chocolatey, this Keto Brownie Recipe is just what you should make.
Keto Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Place butter in a ramekin and microwave, in 30-second intervals, until melted. Allow to cool slightly and then whisk in the egg.
- Add the almond flour, Swerve, and baking powder, and stir to combine.
- Add the vanilla.
- Stir half of the chocolate chips into the batter and sprinkle the other half on top.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 10 seconds. Allow to cool slightly, and then serve warm.