I love chaffles, and this Pizza Chaffle is a particular favorite of mine. A perfectly seasoned chaffle is topped with zesty marinara, two kinds of cheese, and pepperoni for an easy meal that always hits the spot. It makes a great lunch or easy weeknight meal.
We make pizza all the time in our house.
It is usually regular pizza for the kids and keto-friendly pizza with Fathead Pizza Dough for me.
Sometimes, I am not feeling like all that is involved in making homemade pizza, which is where this Pizza Chaffle comes in.
The flavorful chaffle stands in beautifully for pizza dough.
It is not at all fussy since there is no rolling out of the dough. This pizza chaffle with almond flour is perfect for those times where time is tight.
Ingredients for Making Chaffle Pizza
- Egg: I recommend using a large egg.
- Mozzarella: I prefer the texture and mild flavor of mozzarella in this chaffle pizza, but you could use cheddar cheese too.
- Almond Flour: Use finely ground almond flour. I do not recommend using almond meal.
- Baking Powder: This is optional but helps to give the chaffle a little lift.
- Italian Seasoning: If you don’t have this on hand, you can use dried oregano, parsley, thyme, or rosemary. Or you can use a combination of them.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper to your liking, but be careful not to overdo it.
- Marinara: I like to use my homemade marinara. If you are buying it, make sure to choose a sugar-free brand. My go-to brand is Rao’s.
- Fresh Mozzarella: I like to top with a combination of both fresh and shredded mozzarella. If you don’t have fresh, you can just use shredded.
- Pepperoni: Either turkey or pork pepperoni work.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- For a crispy chaffle crust, make sure that your waffle iron is preheated and that you cook it long enough. If you want it extra crispy, you can put it in the toaster oven before adding the toppings.
- For an extra pop of flavor, try adding garlic powder to the chaffle batter. I recommend ¼ to ½ teaspoon, depending on how intense you want the taste to be.
- Feel free to play with the toppings and use your favorite pizza toppings! I often add goat cheese and thinly sliced red onion.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Chaffle?
A chaffle is a type of keto bread that is made in a waffle iron. It is made of cheese and egg and often contains either almond flour or coconut flour.
What Pizza Sauce is Low Carb?
I like to use my homemade keto marinara. If you are short on time and want to buy pizza sauce, make sure you read the label. Many have added sugar in them. I recommend using Rao’s.
Can You Cook This in the Air Fryer Instead of Under the Broiler?
You can, but because of the fan, I recommend not cutting the pepperonis small and putting the fresh mozzarella on top of them so that they don’t blow off.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Chaffle Pizza
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from Qualified Sales
- Dash Mini Waffle Iron (You can use another waffle maker, but this is the one I recommend for chaffles. And it is super-affordable!)
- Baking Sheet
If you don’t eat all of your keto chaffle pizza right away, you can keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to four days.
It can be frozen for up to two months.
I recommend reheating in the oven until the cheese is melted and the chaffle is warmed through.
How to Make Pizza Chaffle
First, start by preheating your waffle iron. Do not skip this step!
Combine the egg, cheese, almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Add half of the mixture to your waffle maker. (Assuming you are using the Dash mini.)
Close the lid and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Place the chaffles on a baking sheet.
Preheat the broiler to high and divide the marinara between the chaffles.
Put the cheese on top, and then add the pepperoni and place it under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
More Keto Chaffle Recipes to Try
- Start your day right with this Low Carb Egg in a Hole! It is deliciously filling and never gets old.
- Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are a low-carb riff on a much-loved classic!
- Breakfast or snack? You decide! Either way, you are going to love this Keto Avocado Toast.
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Keto Marinara.
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
- 1- ounce fresh mozzarella torn
- 6 mini pepperoni quartered
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, mozzarella cheese, almond flour, baking powder, and Italian seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you are using a dash-mini, add half of the mixture to the waffle maker. Close the lid and cook for about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture. (If you are using a traditional waffle iron, you can cook all of the mixture at once.)
- Place the chaffles on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of marinara on each of the chaffles.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over each chaffle, then add the fresh mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 2 or 3 minutes.
Leave a Reply