I love a savory breakfast, and this Keto Egg Casserole is a particular favorite of mine. You can make it on the weekend for a quick breakfast during the week. When you combine eggs, sour cream, sausage, cheese, and seasonings, you can prepare for mouthfuls of flavor before you. Such a filling and delicious low carb start to your day.
Few things frustrate me more than one of my kids complaining that they are hungry first thing in the morning and expecting me to come up with something marvelous to eat.
When I am deep into a relationship with my morning coffee, the last thing I want to do is get up and cook.
And, of course, in those moments, something simple is never agreeable.
That's why I always keep my freezer stocked with egg muffins and other recipes like this Keto Sausage Egg Casserole.
It is simple to make, freezes beautifully, and makes the whole family happy.
Ingredients for Making Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Eggs - I used large eggs, but feel free to use whatever size you have on hand. This recipe isn't particularly fussy.
- Heavy Cream - If you are keto, make sure you use heavy cream and not half and half. Half and half works fine for low carb.
- Sour Cream - Use full fat.
- Garlic Powder - If you would prefer, you could use 3 cloves of minced fresh garlic.
- Salt and Pepper - Go for fresh ground black pepper here; feel free to adjust the amount of seasonings to your taste.
- Sausage - Any sausage works.
- Cheese - I used extra-sharp cheddar, but Swiss, gruyere, or Monterey jack would also be great.
Store this keto egg casserole for up to three days covered in the refrigerator or freeze for up to three months.
I recommend freezing in individual portions so that you can defrost and heat just what you plan to eat.
Feel free to play with this recipe and make it your own! Sauteed onion, spinach, diced red pepper, or broccoli are all great additions.
Diced onion or jalapeno is also lovely.
For an extra pop of flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or dried mustard.
Tools Needed to Make Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- 9" x 9" Baking Dish
How to Make Keto Egg Casserole
Since the recipe calls for cooked sausage, the first thing you want to do is cook the sausage according to package directions, crumbling it up with the back of a spoon.
Next, you will want to preheat the oven and spray your casserole dish with cooking spray.
Beat the eggs, and then add the cream and seasonings.
Stir in the sausage.
Then stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
Top with the remaining cheese and bake until set.
You May Also Like
- Keto Egg Muffins are easy to make and perfect for meal prep.
- If you love avocado toast as much as I do, you are going to go wild for this Keto Avocado Toast.
- Looking for more casserole inspiration? Check out this round-up of Keto Casserole Recipes!
- These Keto Sausage Balls work just as well for an appetizer as they do for breakfast. (We've even been known to make dinner from them.)
Keto Egg Casserole
- 12 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 14 ounces pork or turkey breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 12 ounces shredded cheddar cheese 3 cups, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the sausages and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cook for 35 to 45 minutes, until set.