These fall-off-the-bone tender Keto Short Ribs are one of my family’s absolute favorites! They are full of flavor with a punch of rosemary that makes them just perfect. This dish tastes like it came from a restaurant, but it’s so simple to make right at home. (Plus, the whole recipe comes together right in one pan!) This rich low-carb meal is sure to become an instant classic with the entire family.
One of the restaurants my family frequents has the most amazing short rib dish. It’s so good; I had to order it every single time we went!
Of course, with everything going on this year, we found ourselves staying home a lot more. So when I started craving my favorite dish, I decided to try making Keto Short Ribs right in my own kitchen.
I have to be honest… I might like my recipe even better than the restaurant version!
It’s become an instant favorite with my whole family.
The meat is fall-off-the-bone tender, and the ribs are so full of flavor. The punch of rosemary takes them to the next level.
And the best part is that everything comes together right in one pan! Hands-on prep takes about 20 minutes, then simply bake your Keto Beef Short Ribs for about 3 hours. It’s so easy.
The hardest part is waiting for them to finish cooking while your house fills up with the most amazing smell. But trust me, the wait is so worth it!
- Short Ribs - You want about 5 pounds of bone-in beef short ribs.
- Avocado Oil - When cooking at a high temperature, I recommend using an oil like avocado with a high smoke point.
- Onion and Celery - These low-carb vegetables add flavor to the braising liquid.
- Beef Broth - You can use store-bought or make your own from beef bones. (I save the bones when I make this and use them to make broth so that I have it for the next time!)
- Red Wine - The wine is optional for adding rich flavor; you could substitute more beef broth instead.
- Fresh Rosemary - This herb adds so much flavor to the short ribs. You could substitute dried, but I recommend fresh if at all possible.
- Salt and Pepper - These will bring out the natural flavors of the meat.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to let the short ribs sit after seasoning and before cooking. You can do this at room temperature for an hour or uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This will ensure that the outside of the meat is dry so you can get a nice sear on it. Additionally, the salt will get into the muscle fibers, season the meat, and make it more tender.
- To create a quick gravy, add a ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum to the braising liquid after the ribs have finished roasting.
- If you prefer to make your Keto Beef Ribs in the slow cooker, I would still recommend searing the meat before cooking. This step is optional, but I think it adds to the flavor of the short ribs.
What Do You Serve with Keto Short Ribs?
- I love serving Keto Braised Short Ribs with creamy Keto Mashed Cauliflower for a simple but delicious combination.
- Keto Creamed Spinach is a steakhouse classic that always pairs well with beef dishes.
- For a healthy, satisfying, and fun side dish that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser, these Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan are such a tasty and easy way to serve vegetables!
Frequently Asked Questions
This cut of beef is from the short portion of the rib bone. The same cut of meat in pork would be called spare ribs. They tend to be large and meaty, so they make for a very satisfying meal.
They sure are! Ribs have zero carbs on their own, so they are a great option on a low-carb or keto diet.
However, if you are strict keto, be aware that some recipes call for sugar in the dry rub. If you’re dining out or eating at a friend’s house, you may want to double-check what they use in the dry rub for their short ribs.
Flanken short ribs refer to the same cut of meat, but they are cut across the bone. They can be used interchangeably with short ribs; either type works for this recipe.
I still recommend searing your short ribs first because I love how it really brings out the flavor. But you could skip this step in a pinch.
I suggest cooking your Keto Beef Ribs on low for 7 to 8 hours to make them as tender as possible. If you prefer to cook on high, reduce the cook time to 4 to 5 hours.
Tools Needed To Make Keto Beef Ribs
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
These Keto Braised Short Ribs make excellent leftovers! Stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator, they will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Alternatively, you could store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Make Keto Beef Ribs
Pat the short ribs with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Allow them to sit either at room temperature for at least an hour or in the refrigerator overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Heat the oil in a dutch oven to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the avocado oil, then brown the short ribs on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove the short ribs from the pan and set aside. Next, add the onion, celery, and garlic, then cook for 4 minutes.
Add the broth and red wine to a pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
Return the ribs to the pan along with the fresh rosemary. Add additional broth or water to the pan until the ribs are halfway covered.
Cover and bake for 3 hours, flipping halfway through.
Remove the rosemary from the pan. Serve the ribs with the braising liquid. (You can thicken the liquid with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if you like.)
You May Also Like These Keto Beef Recipes
- Pan-Seared Ribeye is served with herb butter for a delicious and easy recipe that’s guaranteed to keep your taste buds singing.
- Ditch the bread and enjoy all the flavors of this classic comfort food with Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole.
- This Keto Flank Steak is super simple to make and perfect for a tasty and flavorful family dinner.
- When you’re craving Southwestern flavors, Keto Beef Enchiladas is a low-carb dish that never fails to delight!
Keto Short Ribs
- 5 pounds bone-in short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or additional beef broth
- 3 springs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Pat the short ribs with paper towels to dry and season with salt and pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add the avocado oil and brown the short ribs on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes. Add the broth and red wine to a pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Return the ribs to the pan along with the fresh rosemary. Add additional broth or water to the pan until the ribs are halfway covered. Cover and bake for 3 hours, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the rosemary from the pan. Serve the ribs with the braising liquid. (You can thicken the liquid with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if you like.)