The line between what constitutes an appetizer and a main course is a little blurry around here. Truth be told, I often like to make a meal of snacks and nibbles. These Keto Sausage Balls have all the flavor and texture of the original and are fabulous as an appetizer or grab-and-go breakfast. Or you can be like me and call them dinner.
Keto Sausage Balls – Breakfast or Appetizer? You Decide!
As someone who creates recipes for a living, you would think that I would rarely make the same thing twice.
But the truth is that I am a creature of habit. There are recipes that I make over and over again – often dozens of times before they ever make it into a blog or book.
I love these little morsels so much! I’ve been known to hide a few in the fridge so that my husband and teenage boys didn’t eat them all. (FYI – from experience under the kale is the best hiding place!)
You can enjoy them for breakfast, as an appetizer, or any time in between!
How to Make Keto Almond Flour Sausage Balls in the Air Fryer or Oven
1 First, combine the almond flour, baking powder, salt, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
2 Use clean hands to gently mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3 Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the balls and then roll with your hands.
Air Fryer Keto Sausage Balls
Place in a single layer in your air fryer and spray with oil. Set your air fryer to 350 degrees. Cook for 7 minutes and flip. Cook for 7 minutes longer, until lightly golden brown.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sausage balls in a single layer and spray with oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes and flip. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes longer, until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are sausage balls keto-friendly?
Most sausage balls are not keto-friendly, because they use either flour or a product like Bisquick. This recipe is ideally suited to a low-carb, gluten-free, or keto lifestyle.
What kind of sausage should I use?
I’ve tried this recipe with different kinds of sausage. It works with any type of raw sausage that comes in a casing that can be removed so that the sausage can be crumbled. I much prefer it with breakfast sausage.
Are keto sausage balls good cold?
Yes! I think that they are. I’ve been known to eat them cold for a quick breakfast.
Can sausage balls be made ahead?
Yes, this recipe can be made up to two days ahead of time and popped in the oven when you are ready to serve. Alternatively, you can bake them and reheat them. Leftovers will keep for about five days in the refrigerator.
Can keto sausage balls be frozen?
Absolutely – these freeze great. I like to double the recipe and freeze a sheet pan full. Once they are frozen, I transfer them to a zip-top freezer bag. I love having these on hand for a quick bite or unexpected guests.
More Appetizers to Try:
- Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are quick to make, and always so quick to disappear at parties. This is a low carb appetizer that everyone loves.
- If you like crispy wing perfection, you will go wild for these Keto Buffalo Wings.
- This Keto Pimento Cheese is quite simply the BEST pimento cheese ever. It is so ridiculously flavorful – get prepared for snacking bliss.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Cookie Scoop
- Baking Sheet and Parchment Paper or Air Fryer (I have had multiple air fryers, including one that was much more expensive. This one is my favorite.)
- Mixing Bowl
Keto Sausage Balls
- Sheet Pan and Parchment Paper
- Cookie Scoop
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound sausage crumbled (I used breakfast sausage)
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cut into chunks
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, salt, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add sausage, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese. Stir to combine and then use clean hands to mix until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form into balls about 1 1/2 inches.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Place in a single layer in your air fryer and spray. Set your air fryer to 350 degrees. Cook for 7 minutes and flip.
- Respray and cook for 7 minutes longer, until lightly golden brown.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sausage balls in a single layer and spray with oil.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip and cook for 8 to 10 minutes longer, until golden brown.