Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole takes all of the flavors of traditional Poppers and turns them into a meal that is filling and ridiculously easy to make. Creamy chicken is topped with jalapeno and cheese. We finish it off with bacon to add a layer of texture and crunch. I think you will agree; this one is a keeper!
Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole is Dinner Perfection!
Are you ready for a dinner that you are going to crave again and again?
With lots of cheesy chicken, jalapeños, and bacon, this casserole is absolutely addictive! The creamy filling calms the spicy jalapeños and delivers a meal that is absolutely satisfying.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- I recommend using gloves when handling jalapeños. This is especially true if you wear contacts or have small children.
- Cut the jalapeños any way you like. You can dice them or cut them into rounds.
- If you like the heat, you can leave the seeds in. Just make sure that you REALLY want the heat – it can be overpowering.
- Mascarpone cheese can be used in place of cream cheese.
- You can make this quicker by using a rotisserie chicken, pre-shredded chicken, and buying precooked bacon.
- Jarred jalapeños may be used if you cannot find fresh.
- Any shredded cheese may be used for this recipe.
What Do I Serve with Jalapeno Popper Casserole?
What is the Best Way to Cook the Chicken for Casseroles?
Any method works here!
Instant Pot – If you are short on time, the Instant Pot is a fabulous option. You can even cook from frozen.
Slow Cooker – I often cook chicken in my slow cooker on the weekends while I am doing meal prep. Especially if my Instant Pot is in use for something else. Even if you don’t meal prep on the weekends, you can throw the chicken in your slow cooker in the morning. Then at the end of the day, all you have to do is throw the casserole together.
Air Fryer – The air fryer doesn’t typically yield shredded chicken, but you can dice it if you want to go this route. Check out my air fryer chicken recipe.
Poach – Poaching is an excellent and relatively quick method to get shredded chicken for casseroles.
Rotisserie – Skip cooking the chicken entirely and pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.
Are Jalapeños Keto Friendly?
Yes! Jalapeno peppers are keto-friendly. One pepper has 4 calories and less than 1 net carb each.
Selecting and Storing Jalapeños
When shopping for jalapeños, look for peppers that are unblemished, firm, and bright. Store them in a plastic produce bag in the vegetable drawer in your refrigerator for about a week.
Prepping Jalapeño Peppers
Don’t skip wearing gloves with you are preparing fresh chiles. Don’t have them? Plastic bags work too.
To cut them, cut down one side of the pepper. Place the jalapeño on the cut side and repeat on the remaining sides to create 4 pieces. Discard the stem, core, and seeds. (Unless you are going for a lot of heat, in which case you can use the seeds.)
How to Make Keto Jalapeno Popper Casserole
Please scroll down below to the recipe card for the full recipe and measurements.
About an hour before you start making this, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator so it can soften. Next, preheat your oven and prepare a 9 x 9 baking sheet by spraying it with cooking spray.
Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, minced onions, and seasonings in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
After that, stir in the shredded chicken.
Layer the mixture on the bottom of a prepared casserole dish.
Cut the top off of the jalapeños and then slice lengthwise. (I recommend using gloves for this part.). Remove the seeds and ribs and cut them into strips. Sprinkle the jalapeños over the chicken mixture.
Top with cheddar cheese and bake, adding the bacon in the last 5 minutes.
More Keto Recipes with Chicken To Try
- Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a low carb twist on a classic that you probably grew up eating. Comfort food never gets old.
- Though it sounds like it would be a touch fussy, this Chicken Cordon Bleu is surprisingly simple to make.
- Keto Ranch Chicken is what I make when I want a deliciously comforting meal without a lot of effort.
Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs cooked and shredded
- 1/2 pound jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, minced onion, garlic, and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and spread in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Cut the tops of the jalapeños and cut lengthwise. Carefully remove the seeds and ribs (the white part). Slice into thin strips and sprinkle on top of the chicken mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese bake for 25 minutes. Top with the bacon and cook for 5 minutes longer.