If you are missing yogurt on your low-carb diet, you are going to love this Keto Yogurt Recipe! It is so rich and creamy. Best of all, you can turn it into all of your favorite flavors.
One of the biggest keys to my success at sticking to a keto diet is having easy meals prepped.
This is especially true for breakfast since how well I eat in the morning sets the tone for the entire day.
Yogurt has always been an easy solution, but store-bought yogurt can be problematic since most regular yogurt is loaded with sugar.
Luckily, it is super easy to make homemade yogurt in your pressure cooker!
Ingredients for Making Keto Yogurt
- Heavy Cream: To keep this yogurt keto, make sure you use heavy whipping cream and not half and half.
- Coconut Milk: You will want to use full-fat canned coconut milk. Heavy cream may be substituted.
- Plain Unsweetened Yogurt: Make sure that you use yogurt with live active cultures. You can also use a yogurt starter if you prefer.
Tips & Tricks
- If you don't have yogurt with live active cultures, you can also use a 50-billion IU probiotic capsule or yogurt starter.
- If you want to make dairy-free yogurt, omit the heavy cream and replace it with canned coconut milk. Voila! You now have a keto coconut milk yogurt recipe.
- For thicker yogurt, you can add 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin. To do this, place ¼ cup of the heavy cream in a bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Add it to the remaining liquid after it has been heated and before it cools. Once the yogurt has been refrigerated, whisk vigorously for the smoothest texture.
- Another method for a thicker yogurt is to hold the liquids at 180° F for at least 5 minutes before allowing it to cool.
Enjoy this sweetened with a keto-friendly sweetener with your favorite flavorings and toppings. You can also add it to mayonnaise to lower the total calories and use it in place of sour cream.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Sweetening and Flavoring Homemade Yogurt
I recommend sweetening this instant pot keto yogurt recipe with a powdered sweetener such as Swerve confectioners. How much you add is entirely a matter of personal preference.
The Best Low Carb Yogurt Toppings
- Fresh Berries
- Keto Granola
- Keto Trail Mix
- Sugar-Free Jam
- Keto-Friendly Nuts such as pecans or macadamia nuts
- Keto-Friendly Nut Butters
- Hemp Seeds, Sunflower Seeds or Pepitas
- Keto-Friendly Chocolate Chips
Frequently Asked Questions
Yogurt is milk or cream that has been combined with bacterial strains and left to culture at warm temperatures until it thickens.
Plain full-fat yogurt can be a part of a keto diet, but making homemade yogurt is the best way to lower (and control) the total carbs.
If you buy yogurt, make sure you read the label carefully, as the total carb count - even with plain yogurt - can vary by yogurt brand.
For flavored yogurt, make sure you go with a brand that is sugar-free. Even if it is labeled as such, look for added sugars and other ingredients that you may not wish to eat.
Many sugar-free yogurt brands contain sucralose, which is an ingredient that many people choose to avoid.
The biggest benefit to making yogurt is that you control the quality. You can achieve the perfect consistency and flavor and don't have to use any fillers!
You can use natural ingredients - like gelatin - to thicken and don't have to rely on any artificial ingredients.
Yes, this is the perfect make-ahead recipe! It will keep for at least two weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Yes, yogurt can be frozen in a sealed container in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before using.
You should expect yogurt that has been frozen to separate a bit. It may also be more liquid or grainy. Stir well for the best consistency.
How to Strain Homemade Yogurt
Line a fine-mesh sieve with layered cheesecloth or a nut milk bag. Set the strainer over a large bowl. Transfer the cooked yogurt and let the whey drain to the desired thickness.
This will take at least two hours and up to overnight for a very thick yogurt.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Greek Yogurt Recipe
This yogurt will keep for at least two weeks in the refrigerator.
How to Make Instant Pot Keto Yogurt
First, start by pouring your heavy cream and coconut milk into the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Place the lid on the pot and set to sealing.
Next, press your yogurt button. Adjust until it reads BOIL. (Some units require you to select "hi" before boil will show.)
When the cycle is complete, check the mixture's temperature and make sure it is at least 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
If for some reason it is not, set it to high saute until it is.
Fill a bowl with cold water and set the inner pot into the water bath. Cool the mixture to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dry the bottom outside of your pot and return to the Instant Pot base.
Place the lid and set it to sealing.
Press yogurt, and adjust the time to 8 hours.
When the cycle completes, transfer the mixture to the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
Use a nut milk bag and strain the yogurt.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Keto Yogurt Recipe
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons plain unsweetened 5% yogurt with active cultures
- Pour the heavy cream and coconut milk into the inner pot of an Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and set it to sealing.
- Press the yogurt button and adjust until it reads BOIL.
- When the boil cycle is complete, use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature. It should be 180° F. (This kills harmful bacteria.) If it isn't, set it to saute and heat until it is.
- Once it is at least 180° F, fill a bowl with cold water.
- Place the inner pot in the ice water bath and allow the mixture to cool until it reaches 110° F. (You can also allow it to cool at room temperature.)
- Whisk in the yogurt.
- Dry the bottom of the outside of the pot and return it to the Instant Pot base.
- Place the lid in place and set it to sealing.
- Press yogurt, and adjust the time to 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, chill the yogurt for 8 hours.
- Use a nut milk bag to strain the yogurt.