Ditch the sugar and keep the flavor with this Low Carb Ketchup recipe! This is a staple you will turn to again and again! I’ve added a little kick from cayenne pepper, but feel free to leave it off it that isn’t your thing! In just about 25 minutes, you can have homemade keto ketchup that works perfectly with your low carb lifestyle.
This Low Carb Ketchup Will Become a Kitchen Staple!
Carbs…they are hidden everywhere.
Especially places you least expect it. Like ketchup.
Logic would have it that since tomatoes are ok in moderation on a low carb and keto diet, ketchup wouldn’t be a problem.
But WAIT! Ketchup has sugar. And you know sugar is I big, HARD NO when you are watching your carbs.
Sure, you could try to make it fit into your macros, because your time is precious and making low carb ketchup does take a little (but not much) time.
The problem here is that when you are avoiding sugar, even a small amount can have a significant impact on your blood sugar levels.
And a tablespoon of commercial ketchup contains a teaspoon of sugar.
Plus, many commercial ketchup brands contain high fructose corn syrup – and this is definitely something you don’t want in your diet.
But what about low sugar versions? That is certainly an option. BUT – many of them contain sucralose, which is something else you may want to avoid. Most experts agree that sucralose can be harmful to your gut health because it may reduce beneficial bacteria by up to 30%.
Sucralose may also continue to feed a sweet tooth.
According to Greg Neely, Ph.D., an associate professor at the University of Sydney “In one study, fruit flies that had been accustomed to eating the artificial sweetener sucralose ate 30 percent more calories than those that ate sugar.” The brain may compensate for the sweetness in sucralose by making you feel more hungry.
So what should you do?
My suggestion is to make your ketchup! You control the quality of ingredients, the flavor, and even the level of sweetness.
How to Make Low Carb Ketchup
- In a small saucepan combine bone broth, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Swerve, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to a jar. It keeps for up to a week in the refrigerator.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Keto Ketchup Recipe
You will fall in love with this homemade Low Carb Ketchup Recipe! It is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite comfort foods. This sugar free recipe is perfect for your keto diet! I love it on burgers, meat loaf, and in sloppy joes. Once you try it you may never go back to store bought!
Low Carb Ketchup
- medium saucepan
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Swerve sweetener
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine bone broth, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Swerve, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and then transfer to a jar. Store in the refrigerator.