This Marinated Cheese takes just five minutes to make and stays fresh for up to a two weeks in the fridge. (As long as you hide it from the family!) It causes a frenzy at parties and is just what you need when you are trying to keep low carb entertaining simple.
Marinated Cheese Backstory
Every now and then, I like to get all fancy when I entertain, but for the most part, I am all about keeping things simple.
I have three kids.
We go to theme parks once a week for most of the year. (Hello, fatigue.)
This means that keeping things fairly simple is a MUST for me.
If you have kids, I am pretty sure you are much the same way.
So while I love to pull out all the stops every once in a while, most of the time my spread involved a lot of simple recipes like this marinated cheese.
Guys, it doesn’t get much easier than this. But I promise this is one recipe that will never get old.
I mean you know when you start with cheese it is going to be good.
Use the best quality cheese you can find and afford. Bonus points if you can find something great that is also grass-fed.
But then you add in a hint of heat from crushed red pepper, and a hint of thyme, and you’ve got a super-simple but over the top recipe that is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
Step By Step Instructions
Time needed: 12 hours and 5 minutes.
How to Make Marinated Cheese
- Dice Cheddar
Cut the cheddar cheese into small cubes.
- Make Marinade
Whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Add thyme springs.
Put the cheese in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over it.
Chill for 12 hours to allow the flavors to combine. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Store in the fridge
This recipe will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can keep this recipe in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
Yes – Rosemary makes a great alternative.
Yes! This recipe will work with any type of cheese that is firm enough to be cubed.
Variations for This Recipe
- Add a seeded diced jalapeno or chipotle chili pepper to the marinade and substitute cilantro for the thyme.
- Add three thinly sliced garlic cloves to the marinade.
- Reduce the cheese to 3/4 pound and add in 1/2 cup olives.
- In place of the olive oil, use a pre-seasoned oil like chili oil or garlic oil.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Shallow Bowls
- Glass jar for storage (optional)
Low Carb Marinated Cheese
- 1 pound sharp grass-fed cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Cut the cheddar cheese into cubes.
- Add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes to a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add thyme.
- Place cheddar cheese in a shallow bowl and pour the marinate over it.
- Cover and chill for at least 12 hours.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.