I fell in love with eggs in a hole the first time I ever had one, and this Low Carb Egg in a Hole is every bit as delicious as the original. A cheesy chaffle is topped with egg and cheese and baked to perfection. Simple and delicious! Without question, it is one of my favorite keto breakfast recipes.
This Low Carb Egg in a Hole is Breakfast Perfection!
Confession: Growing up, I never had an Egg in a Hole. I was so sheltered that the first time I heard of it - in college - I thought that someone was teasing.
Egg and bread, cooked together? Of course, then I had to try it. It was love at first bite.
Since then, I've gone through phases where it was my go-to breakfast, and recently I found myself missing it. Given my love for chaffles the solution was obvious: make an Egg in a Hole Chaffle.
I think you will agree that it was a smashing success and every bit as good as the original sandwich. This isn't a fussy recipe, and baking it on a sheet pan makes it even easier. Feel free to play with it and make it your own.
What is a Chaffle?
A chaffle is a low carb waffle that is made of egg and cheese. They can be sweet or savory. You can read all about them and get my recipe for making them here.
How to Make a Keto Egg in a Hole Chaffle
The first thing you need to do is make your chaffle. There are a lot of different chaffle recipes out there. You can find my basic one and the one that I used here. Alternatively, if you don't want to use a chaffle you can use any low carb/keto friendly bread.
Preheat your oven, and place your prepared baking sheet in it.
Once your chaffle is made, use a cookie cutter to cut a hole in the center of it. You can reserve this for another use. (I like to use them to make mini-sandwiches or as slider buns.)
Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven, and place the chaffle on it. Crack your eggs and place them in the center. Season with salt and pepper and top with cheese.
Cook to desired doneness.
Make sure you check out this post on How to Make Keto Chaffles! It offers a comprehensive overview of everything you need to make chaffles.
More Chaffle Recipes to Try
- Blueberry Chaffles are loved by kids and adults alike. It is another delicious way to start the day!
- Prepare to fall in love with this Keto Reuben Sandwich. It really doesn't get any better than this.
- Breakfast or snack? You decide! Either way I think you will agree that these Peanut Butter Chaffles are out of this world!
- Chaffles for dessert? It is a real thing. These Chocolate Chaffles will have you feeling like you are cheating.
- Keto Avocado Toast is a filling meal that I turn to again and again.
- Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are a deliciously easy dessert that never gets old.
Low Carb Egg In a Hole
- 2 chaffles cooked according to these directions or other keto bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack. Line it with parchment paper and spray it with oil. Preheat to 420 degrees.
- While the oven preheats, use a 2 ½-inch wide cookie cutter and cut holes from the chaffles.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Place the chaffles on the baking sheet, and add an egg to the holes.
- Tops with cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, until the whites are set, but the yolks are runny.