Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga is ridiculously flavor-packed and takes just 10 minutes of hands-on time. It is a super-convenient weeknight meal that makes a frequent appearance on my meal prep menu. I like to use it to make Chicken Tinga Tacos and empanadas or serve it over cauliflower rice. Want to make this in your Instant Pot? I've got instructions for that too!
You Won't Believe How Flavor-Packed This Chicken Tinga Slow Cooker Recipe Is!
We are all about big flavors around our house, so it probably comes as no surprise that one of my favorite things in the world is recipes that deliver bold flavors without a whole lot of fuss.
If you feel the same way, you are going to adore this recipe. It delivers a delicious dinner and requires just ten minutes of hands-on time.
Best of all, you can make it in either your slow cooker or Instant Pot, so whatever your favorite kitchen tool is you can enjoy this deliciousness!
Tips for Making This Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Recipe
- You can find chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce in the ethnic aisle of the grocery store. They come in small cans, but since you usually only use one or two, you should freeze the rest so that you have them on hand when you need them.
- I do not seed my chipotle peppers, but feel free to if you are especially sensitive to heat. This dish, as is, was mild enough that all three of my kids liked it.
- On the other hand, if you want this to be very spicy, feel free to throw in another pepper. I recommend increasing just one at a time because the heat can build quickly.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
First, start by sprinkling your chicken with salt and pepper and placing it in a slow cooker. If you have time, do this the night before to allow the salt to penetrate the chicken. After that, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender.
Add the garlic, other seasonings, chipotle peppers, tomatoes, and broth.
Bring to a simmer, and cook for about three minutes.
Pour the sauce over the chicken. Set your slow cooker to low, and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Shred and return to the sauce.
What to Make Chicken Tinga in Your Instant Pot? Here’s How!
First, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
Use the saute function, heat the oil in the Instant pot and add the onion. Cook for 6 minutes, and then add the garlic, seasonings, peppers, tomatoes, and broth.
Add the chicken to the pot and toss to coat.
Place the lid on the pressure cooker, and set to seal. Cook for 13 minutes, and then do a quick release. (I recommend using either an oven mitt or thick dish towel.)
Carefully open the lid, and remove the chicken. Shred, and return to the pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Chicken Tinga?
Chicken Tinga is a Mexican shredded chicken. It is made in a sauce of tomatoes, chipotle chilis in adobo and onions.
How Many Calories in Chicken Tinga?
Recipes will vary but this one has 164 calories per a 4 ounce serving of chicken. With less than 2 ½ net carbs per serving, it is a delicious keto-friendly option.
How Do You Use Chicken Tinga?
- Taco Salads
- Burrito Bowls
Or serve it over cauliflower rice!
Can I Freeze Chicken Tinga?
Absolutely! This recipe freezes beautifully and is great for meal prep. To freeze, allow it to cool completely and freeze in the sauce in freezer-safe containers for up to three months.
Tools You Will Need
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- If you think you don't like ground turkey, these Keto Turkey Meatballs will be the recipe that changes your mind! Juicy tender meatballs are coated in a tangy BBQ sauce that will keep you coming back for more.
- When you need a quick and easy dinner, this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is perfection!
- Keto Cheeseburger Soup packs all the flavors of your favorite burger into one comforting soup. This is one that never gets old!
- Looking for more slow cooker inspiration? Don't miss this collection of Keto Slow Cooker Recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil to medium-high heat in a skillet and add the onion. Cook for about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic, oregano, cumin, and paprika.
- Add chipotle peppers, diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and serve.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute'. Heat the oil in the Instant pot and add the onion. Cook for 6 minutes, and then add the garlic, seasonings, peppers, tomatoes, and broth.
- Add the chicken to the pot and toss to coat.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, and set to seal. Cook for 13 minutes, and then do a quick release. (I recommend using either an oven mitt or thick dish towel.)
- Carefully open the lid, and remove the chicken. Shred, and return to the pot.