Keto Coleslaw is my go-to side for casual dinners, especially during the warmer months. The punchy dressing is mildly sweet with a subtle heat from red onion. I prefer to shred my cabbage to keep the carbs down, but you can use bagged coleslaw mix if you would like to save yourself time and labor.
Keto Coleslaw is a Crowd Pleasing Side
Coleslaw has long been a favorite of mine! As a side, on a burger - I like it most any way that I can get it.
It makes a frequent appearance on my dinner table, especially during grilling season.
This Keto Coleslaw Recipe has a little kick of sweetness. If you prefer your coleslaw very sweet, feel free to use more of your favorite keto-friendly sweetener.
Is Coleslaw Keto?
Many people are surprised to find out that most cabbage is not keto-friendly. This is because they often contain sugar - sometimes larges amounts of it.
How Do You Sweeten Keto Slaw?
There are many keto-friendly options for sweeteners. I recommend using powdered erythritol, like Swerve confectioner's, because it dissolves well and does not leave a grainy texture.
How Many Carbs are in Coleslaw?
This depends on the recipe! As an example, a serving of coleslaw from Chick-fil-a has 17 grams of carbohydrates. This recipe is keto-friendly, with about 3.5 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best the day that you make it, but it can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Why Do You Salt Cabbage for Low Carb Coleslaw?
While you can skip this step if you are short on time, I don't recommend it. Cabbage contains a lot of water, and this step removes it, which keeps your slaw from becoming too watery.
Make it Quicker
If you are super-short on time, skip the salting step, and used bagged coleslaw mix. Just be aware that this will increase the carbohydrate count since most coleslaw mixes contain a small amount of carrots.
Strictly speaking, carrots are not keto, but many people that I know can enjoy them in moderation amounts without a negative impact.
Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K - which is important for bone health - and a great source of vitamin C. Red cabbage boasts phytochemicals called anthocyanin, which are anti-inflammatory, and also has a good amount of beta carotene.
Look for smaller cabbages that have looser heads and thin outer leaves and are bright in color. Dull outer leaves indicate that the cabbage is older.
Leave the butter leaves on and store loosely wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator for about a week. If the outer leaves are dried out, peel them back before serving.
What Do You Serve with Keto-Friendly Coleslaw?
- Coleslaw and BBQ Chicken are a match made in heaven, and this Keto BBQ Chicken is perfection. Juicy chicken in a sweet and tangy sauce never gets old.
- Keto Ranch Chicken has just 5-ingredients and pleases kids and adults alike.
- Steak is always great with a side of slaw, and this Keto Steak Marinade is the best way I know to take your flavors to the next level.
- 10 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons Swerve confectioners
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cabbage in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for at least 1 hour. (This step is optional.) Blot dry.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the heavy cream and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, Swerve, dijon mustard, and celery seeds.
- Blot the cabbage dry. Pour the dressing over and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.