Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are a family favorite! They work just as well for a weeknight dinner as they do as an appetizer on your game day buffet. The ground chicken is well seasoned and then combined with sour cream, egg, scallions, celery, and blue cheese for a juicy, tender meatball that is anything but boring. You can make these in your air fryer or oven. Either way, you have a simple dish the whole family can enjoy.
Whether you're following a ketogenic diet or not, these buffalo chicken meatballs are a delicious and easy meal to make.
They're perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or your next game day party.
Ingredients for Making Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Buffalo Meatballs without Breadcrumbs
- Ground Chicken: Ground chicken from dark meat that has some fat will result in a more juicy and tender meatball.
- Seasoning: I use salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper for the perfect punch of flavor. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Egg: The egg will help to bind the ingredients together and make for a more firm meatball.
- Sour Cream: You could also use mayonnaise or Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. This will add some moisture and fat to the meatballs.
- Scallions: I like the flavor green onions add, but you could also use onion if you prefer.
- Celery: Celery is a classic ingredient in buffalo chicken dishes. It adds a nice crunch and freshness to the meatballs.
- Blue Cheese: Blue cheese is my cheese of choice for these meatballs, but you could use any type of cheese that you like.
- Hot Sauce: Use a keto-friendly brand, like Frank's.
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Vinegar: This is optional but adds a touch of acid and rounds out the flavors.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic or substitute garlic powder.
Tips & Tricks
- The best way to form keto buffalo chicken balls is with your hands. Get them as uniform in size as possible, so they cook evenly.
- If you're not eating these right away, you can freeze them uncooked for later. Just place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for about an hour. Then, transfer it to a freezer-safe bag or container. When you're ready to cook, there's no need to thaw. Just place them frozen in the air fryer or oven and cook according to the recipe instructions, adding about 5 more minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the centers have reached 165° F before serving.
- Feel free to substitute ground turkey for the chicken.
Serve gluten-free buffalo chicken meatballs with
- Your favorite veggies
- Celery sticks and blue cheese dressing
- Keto ranch dressing
- Cabbage Noodles
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make Meatballs without Breadcrumbs?
Yes, you can make meatballs without breadcrumbs. I use sour cream and egg in this recipe to bind the ingredients together. This is the perfect way to enjoy meatballs and stick to your keto diet.
What Temperature Should Meatballs Be Cooked To?
For chicken, the safe internal temperature is 165° F. I recommend using an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of your meatballs before serving.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Store leftover low carb buffalo chicken meatballs in a sealed container in the refrigerator. They will keep for about three days.
You can freeze them for up to three months. I recommend freezing them without the sauce if you can.
To freeze, let them freeze solid on a parchment lined baking sheet and then transfer them to a freezer bag.
How to Make Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
First, start by mixing together the ground chicken, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
Next, add the sour cream, egg, scallions, and celery to the bowl and mix everything together until it's well combined.
Stir in the blue cheese crumbles last and mix just until they're evenly distributed.
Now it's time to form the meatballs! Use a cookie scoop or your hands to portion out the mixture and then roll them into balls.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
For air fryer instructions, preheat your air fryer to 375° F and cook the meatballs in a single layer for 12 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
You'll know they're done when the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
Oven Baked Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Preheat oven to 400°F and place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange the meatballs on the rack and bake for 17 minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce by heating the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Once the butter has melted, whisk everything together until it's well combined.
Toss the meatballs with the sauce and top with parsley and blue cheese.
If You Like Buffalo Sauce, Don’t Miss These Recipes!
- Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Keto Buffalo Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Keto Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- ⅓ cup hot sauce like Frank's
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the sour cream, egg, scallions, and celery, and mix.
- Stir in the blue cheese and mix until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure the meatballs and roll them into balls.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375° F.
- Arrange the meatballs in a single layer, cooking in batches as necessary.
- Cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the internal temperature is 165° F.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange the meatballs in a single layer.
- Cook for 17 minutes, until the internal temperature is 165° F.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and garlic in a small saucepan.
- Once the butter melts, whisk to combine.
- Toss the meatballs with the buffalo sauce. Top with parsley and blue cheese and serve with additional celery.