Everyone knows that the marriage of chicken, broccoli, and cheese is always delicious. This Keto Chicken Divan casserole is a fun twist on a much-loved classic and is perfect for your keto diet.
If you are looking for a delicious dinner that the whole family is sure to love, this keto chicken divan recipe is just what you need!
It is super easy to make and ludicrously delicious. I like to assemble it the night before or first thing in the morning, so I’ve got an easy dinner that all I have to do is throw it in the oven.
Ingredients for Making Chicken Divan Keto
- Broccoli: I used fresh broccoli. If you want to use frozen broccoli, let it thaw first and skip the steaming step.
- Butter: Unsalted butter gives you the most control over the seasonings.
- Onion: Yellow or white onion work well here.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds the most flavor, but you could substitute ½ teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh on hand.
- Thyme: Either fresh or dried thyme works well here.
- Broth: Add a deeper level of flavor (and save money) by making homemade broth with my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth Recipe.
- Cream: Use heavy whipping cream if you are keto. If you are low-carb, half and half may be substituted.
- Seasonings: A blend of dry mustard, salt, and pepper gives a nice punchy flavor
- Xanthan Gum: This thickens the sauce. If you would like a thicker sauce, you can add more. (But be careful not to overdo it - a little goes a long way!)
- Cheese: A blend of cheddar and parmesan cheese is perfect here, but feel free to play with what you have on hand.
- Chicken: You can use boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs.
You can serve this easy keto chicken divan by itself for an easy one-dish keto casserole dinner. If you would like to add a side, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles make a great addition to your plate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken Divan was created in the early twentieth century at New York’s Chatham Hotel’s Divan Parisienne Restaurant.
There are many different versions of it, but they all contain chicken, broccoli, and cheese.
Most chicken divan recipes will not be keto-friendly. They typically contain a “cream of” broccoli or chicken soup, or if they are made with real food ingredients, they will be thickened with flour.
Additionally, many recipes contain rice.
Rest assured, this keto chicken divan recipe is perfect for your keto diet.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
If you would like to freeze this keto-friendly casserole, it will keep for up to three months. I like to freeze it in individual containers.
How to Make Keto Chicken Divan
First, start by blanching the broccoli.
To do this, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli, and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender.
Drain and immediately place in a large bowl with ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again.
Preheat your oven.
Melt the butter in a saucepan or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender - about six minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the broth, cream, seasonings, and xanthan gum.
Reduce the heat to low. Add two cups of the cheese and cook until the cheese melts.
Arrange the cooked chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top the chicken with the blanched broccoli.
Make sure you check out my Keto Chicken Divan Web Story.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and top with the remaining cheddar and parmesan.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until heated through and golden brown.
You May Also Like
- Keto Creamy Chicken with spinach and mushrooms is a delicious easy meal that I turn to repeatedly.
- For a delicious lunch that is loaded with flavor, give these Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps a try!
- Keto Chicken Picatta is sure to impress your guests. Only you will know that it is easy enough for a busy weeknight.
Keto Chicken Divan
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 ½ cups cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 pounds boneless chicken cooked and cubed or shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in a large bowl filled with water and ice. Drain again.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, dry mustard, salt, pepper and xanthan gum. Reduce heat to low.
- Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and cook over low heat until the cheese melts.
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with the broccoli florets.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, and top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.