Keto Creamy Chicken is my go-to dish when I am craving comfort food! Chicken is lightly browned and then topped with a creamy mushroom and spinach sauce for a scene-stealing meal that is always a hit. Serve it on its own or with zucchini noodles.
I am always dreaming up new keto dinner ideas, and this Keto Creamy Chicken is my latest obsession.
If you love easy one-pan meals that come together in less than 30 minutes, I think you are going to love this recipe just as much as I do!
Ingredients for Making Creamy Keto Chicken
- Chicken: My family prefers thighs because they are moist and full of flavor, but you can use breasts if you prefer.
- Seasonings: I used only salt and pepper, but onion or garlic powder would also be nice.
- Oil: I use avocado oil whenever I am cooking with high heat because it is keto-friendly and has a high smoke point. You could use olive oil, but I do not recommend using extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mushrooms: Pre-sliced mushrooms save a lot of time chopping. You can use your favorite kind of mushroom.
- Shallot: If you don’t have a shallot, red onion works as a good substitute.
- Spinach: You can use fresh sauteed spinach in place of the frozen spinach.
- Garlic: Free free to substitute ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Wine: The addition of wine adds a nice flavor but is entirely optional. Broth works well in its place.
- Cream: If you are low carb and not keto, half and half may be substituted.
- Parmesan: Fresh grated is best.
Tips & Tricks
- If you have the time, season the chicken with salt and pepper at least one hour ahead of when you are planning to cook it. This allows the salt to permeate the fibers of the chicken, and your chicken will be juicier.
- If you want a thicker sauce, you could add in 3 ounces of cream cheese. (I found that the combination of cream and parmesan was enough to make this keto chicken creamy and rich.)
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Tools Needed to Make Creamy Chicken Keto
You can store leftover low-carb creamy chicken in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Make Keto Creamy Chicken
If you are using chicken breasts, place them in a zip-top bag and pound to even thickness. (You can skip this step if you are using chicken thighs unless they are unusually thick.)
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a large skillet set to medium-high heat.
Add the chicken, and cook for 7 minutes per side until it is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 155° F.
Remove the chicken from the pan and tent it with foil.
Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook for 7 minutes. Next, add the spinach and garlic and cook for another minute, stirring occasionally.
After that, add the broth or wine to the pan. Using a spoon, scrape up any browned bits.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted.
Return the chicken to the pan, and coat with the sauce. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
More Keto Chicken Recipes to Try
- Keto Chicken Piccata is easy enough to make during the week but tasty (and pretty) enough for company.
- If you are looking for a delicious lunch or light dinner, don’t miss these Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
- Keto Chicken Drumsticks are a simple meal you will turn to again and again.
- Even picky kids love these Keto Chicken Tenders!
Keto Creamy Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot diced (or 2 tablespoons diced onion)
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- If using chicken breasts (or large thighs), place the chicken in a plastic zip-top bag and pound to an even thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature is 155° F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and tent with foil.
- Add mushrooms and shallots and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the spinach and garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Add the broth or wine to the pan and scrape up any brown bits.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Return the chicken to the pan and toss to coat. Cook for another two minutes until the chicken reaches 165° F.