These Keto Chicken Wings are one of my favorite nibbles to serve to guests. A universally loved appetizer, they work just as well as the main course. I like to serve with these with Keto Peanut Sauce, which perfectly compliments the Thai inspired flavors in the marinade. You can make this recipe kid-friendly by subbing out a mild pepper or kick up the heat by adding another pepper to the marinade. I especially like this recipe for casual entertaining because it can be fully prepped ahead of time leaving popping them in the oven or air fryer as the only thing for me to do.
I'll never forget the first time I went out for wings.
I was in college, and a group of friends invited me to a local place that was the "go-to" place for the college crowd. Although our family ate out a lot when I was growing up, we weren't exactly going to bars. Although I am sure we went to chains that had wings on the menu, they weren't something I'd ever ordered before.
One bite and I was like "Well that is 18 years of not enjoying something great that I can't get back. Better make up for lost time."
I tend to be all about the dips, and I instantly fell in love with the dippy goodness.
Over the next few years, I returned to this place often. What I loved about it was that they had so many different options.
Of course, there were the traditional buffalo wings. But they also had everything from Garlic Parmesan Wings, to Asian inspired wings. The later is what has inspired these Thai Keto Chicken Wings.
No offense to traditional wings, because I love all things buffalo. But these Thai Chicken Wings are just perfect for those times you want to wow your friends and family with something a little different. I love serving them with a spicy peanut sauce (recipe coming soon) for a combination that has me doing a little happy dance.
This is a recipe that you can serve to anyone and they will not suspect that it is actually part of your nutrition plan. Case in point - my picky teens who most certainly do not follow a keto diet adore them.
How to Make Keto Chicken Wings - Air Fryer, Instant Pot, or Baked
Make Marinade - Whisk together 1 can of coconut milk, tamari (use coconut aminos or Bragg’s liquid aminos for a soy-free option), lime juice, chili pepper, avocado oil, almond butter, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Marinate - Place the wings in a bowl or zip-top bag and pour the marinade over. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Cook - Choose your cooking method and follow the instructions in the recipe card below. Cook until an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
That depends on the kind! A lot of chicken wings have either a BBQ sauce or glaze that is loaded with sugar. This makes them very keto-unfriendly. However, if you make your own and leave these things off or use a keto-friendly version, Chicken Wings can be a regular part of your keto diet. This recipe has about 1 net carb per wing, which actually includes the portion of the marinade that ends up discarded.
Absolutely! Doing so reduces the cooking time and helps to make your wings crispier. Follow the instructions I've given, and don't forget the tips I've given in the How-To section.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe:
- Oven and Parchment Lined Baking Sheet, Instant Pot, or Air Fryer
- Zip-Top Bag or Bowl for Marinating
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Keto Pesto Chicken
- Instant Pot Keto Chicken
- Keto Grilled Chicken
- Low Carb Cauliflower Wings
- Keto Fried Pickles
Keto Chicken Wings
Keto Chicken Wings
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 red Thai chili pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds chicken wings or drumettes
- In a large bowl whisk together coconut milk, coconut aminos, lime juice, Thai chili pepper, avocado oil, almond butter, and garlic.
- Add wings to the bowl and cover.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use tongs to remove the wings from the marinade.
- Place the wings in a single layer. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the wings are crispy and an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the wings in your air fryer. (Depending on the model of your fryer, you may need to cook in batches.)
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes, or until the outset skin is crispy and the wings are cooked through and an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Preheat the broiler to high.Add 1 cup of water or broth to the bottom of your Instant Pot and place the trivet on top. Arrange the chicken wings on top of the trivet.
- Set the pressure to high and cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and then to a quick release.Arrange the wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until crispy.
I'm not on a keto diet, but I would love to try these wings! I appreciate that you can make them in the air fryer too.
Your recipes are the ideal ones for me as most of them are low carbohydrates. The Keto wings are just yummy.
Yummy keto chicken wings, I need to try this recipe out too. You have so many great recipes.
I think I'm going to start a blog about different chicken wings. I'll definitely try your keto chicken wings too.
Brianne Tursi Manz
Even not being on a keto diet, I'd pile into these! They look so delicious! I'll have to try this out.
Keto chicken wings sounds and looks really delicious. This is the recipe that I would like to try. I’m looking forward to meeting reading additional recipes from you
Thanks so much Lavern! We really enjoyed this one.
I love Keto Chicken Wings! It's so yummy and so so easy to prepare. I hope I can do this on weekends.
This is so intriguing! As someone who has been wanting to try keto for awhile, I love saving unique and delicious recipes like this to inspire me!
Thanks for this recipe. Although I don't follow a keto diet, I have friends who do. These chicken wings would be great to serve my friends who are following the Keto diet.
This looks so good!! I can't wait to give this recipe a try. I love a good KETO recipe.
i know this may be an odd comment, but your photos make the food look so good. i tried going 'taking pictures of my food' and could never make it look that good even if it tasted great.
Kristine Nicole Alessandra
Everyone in my house loves chicken wings and this recipe would be a healthier way to make it. I can't wait to serve these delicious wings to my family. I will just have to make sure I make a big batch!
omg these look amazing! i will take a plate full!
Have you actually cook them in the air fryer? I was wondering if the wet marinade wood splatter around the air fryer. My instruction book specifically cautions against this. If someone has actually tried it I would like to hear from them!
Hi Elle! Yes, the wings you see pictured were cooked in the air fryer. (As was every recipe on this site that has air fryer instructions - it is my go-to method of cooking.) I haven't had any issue with splattering when cooking marinated chicken. I would just make sure that you let it drain well so you aren't putting a lot of excess liquid in your fryer. If you prefer a dryer and crispier wing, this one is really great. https://kicking-carbs.com/keto-buffalo-wings/