Keto Green Chili Chicken is a recipe I turn to over and over. Smoky chicken covered in a green chili cream cheese sauce and topped with cheese is simple to make and a crowd-pleasing dish that everyone loves. This is even more delicious served over Cabbage Rice or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
If you like cheesy chicken loaded with flavor, this low carb Green Chili Chicken Recipe is for you!
You have probably guessed by now that chicken recipes are a mainstay at our house. Keto Stuffed Chicken, Air Fryer Chicken, and Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu are just a few of the recipes I turn to again and again.
Can you ever have too many low carb chicken recipes in your arsenal?
I don't think so!
This Keto Green Chili Chicken comes together in a flash. It is full of flavor, but not so spicy that the kids won't eat it.
Let's make dinner!
Ingredients for Low Carb Green Chili Chicken
- Chicken - I used chicken breasts, but thighs - which are more keto-friendly - will work too.
- Green Chilies - You want mild canned diced green chilis in their juices—no need to drain.
- Cream Cheese - Full-fat is best. I used a block of cream cheese, but you can use a tub if you prefer.
- Cheddar Cheese - I recommend shredding your own because the flavor is better, and it is free from non-caking additives. Extra-sharp cheddar is excellent here, but that is entirely a matter of personal preference.
- Ground Cumin - If you have cumin seeds, you can grind your own with a Mortar and Pestle - the flavor is fantastic.
- Smoked Paprika - You can find smoked paprika in both mild and hot. Go with what appeals to you most.
- Sea Salt - Kosher salt works too.
- Oregano - I prefer dried oregano when searing chicken.
- Avocado Oil - You can sub any keto-friendly oil that you like. I choose avocado oil for its high smoke point.
Storage and Reheating
Store this easy chicken recipe in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To reheat, I recommend putting it in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. You can also use the microwave if you prefer.
You can freeze cooked chicken for up to one month in a freezer-safe container. I feel like there is a bit of deterioration in the cream cheese sauce texture, but it is still good and an option to avoid waste.
To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Any boneless chicken will work here.
Yes - even if your kids don't like spicy food, I would consider this recipe kid-friendly. The green chilies are very mild. If your are making this for children, I recommend using mild smoked paprika rather than hot.
What Do I Serve With Keto Green Chili ?
How to Make Keto Green Chile Chicken
First, start by preheating your oven. Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
Cook the chicken in an oven-safe skillet until golden brown, about three minutes per side.
While the chicken is browning, mix the cream cheese and green chiles in a small bowl.
Spread the mixture over the chicken.
Next, top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake until the chicken is cooked through (160 degrees), about 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to rest for at least 5 minutes. (The internal temperature will continue to rise as the chicken rests, until the chicken is the recommended temperature of 165 degrees.)
You May Also Like
- Craving more cheesy goodness? This Keto Instant Pot Crack Chicken is one of my go-to weeknight meals. So full of flavor and super-easy to throw together.
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole has all of the flavors of the much-loved sandwich in a low carb casserole that you will love.
- If you like Jalapeno Poppers, you are going to love this Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole.
Keto Green Chili Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 4- ounce can of chopped green chilies
- 1 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Optional Toppings: Shredded romaine sour cream, cilantro, green onions, jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat the chicken dry. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, paprika, salt, and oregano. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large oven-safe skillet to medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and chopped green chilies. Spread over the chicken and top with the cheese.
- Bake fro 20 to 25 minutes, until the center of the chicken registers 160° F. Allow to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving